Sign in to follow this  
Kev Barrett

can you tell mutaion before first moult

Bottom one will be 'Normal' but can't quite determine the colour of top one Kev, If it's Fawn then that is the colour it'll be.

What colour/mutation are the parents?

So both parents are Normal Penguin then. But what colour is the chick in the top pic? It looks kinda Fawn but that could just be the lighting (and my eyes ?) Perhaps post a clearer shot of that one if you could.

yes it is fawn but sadly I found it dead yesterday morning we had a sparrow hawk around yesterday but it might of been something else the father was from a fawn mother 

Sorry to hear about the chick Kev. I know about the Sparrow Hawks. It seems that August is the time for the young to 'Go it alone'. We have a football rattle for when we see them/it around. They do get the idea that there is no free lunch and eventually leave us alone. They do buzz the aviary now and again though. Like it's 'Just for fun'.

This is another one I have 9 out of the nest at the moment another fawn hopefully better luck with this one mainly normal and this one and a couple more with white blotches are these pied or something different, cheers Kev

153436432138010.jpg

That picture suggests that it is a Pied.

I believe the best way to tell a pied if it's not obvious is by looking for a white bib just under the bottom part of the beak. Some times you get just one white flight or tail feather. Some call these splits but technically they are Pied. As it is a recessive gene it takes two to make one. So both parents need to be carrying the Pied gene.

When you say 'Blotches' is it on their backs or tummy. Photos would be useful Kev.

as they are in the aviary every time I try to photograph them they hide in top corner. I assume the spots on the head are moulting with new feathers coming through its just I never noticed this on my others mum is last pic she is one I've brought in from another breeder whereas my others are from show stock.

1534789402511384.jpg

1534789403203101.jpg

1534787212354919.jpg

1534789402873847.jpg

The 'Blotches' are part of the Pied make up and I see a white patch on the Fawn and.  If it has white flight feathers somewhere then that's a Pied too.