Sign in to follow this  
Mégane

What is the sex of my zebra finch ?

Hi everyone ,

I got 1 zebra finch male and 1 zebra finch female two months ago. Unfortunately, the male died two weeks later. And the female stayed alone for 1 month and half.(she has been standing in front of its mirror for 1 month and half)

yesterday, I brought a new zebra finch (It is supposed to be a male). I never heard him singing and tonight they started to fight for the nest. (For now the new zebra finch won’t Let the othe come in the nest!

I have several questions:

1-what is the sex of the zebra on the pictures ?

2- how can I prevent the fighting ?

thank you a lot !! 

DCA6229C-5B25-4EF2-B25C-0F9910A3AF9D.jpeg

7D9D5111-F659-4B39-9498-1B422446B802.jpeg

28E2E2AF-5A30-4939-86EE-6D44588D447F.jpeg

Your new bird looks to be a Fawn Pied hen and seems to be quite dominant. Apart from separation (which defeats the object of having two I guess) you could just let them get on with it but obviously keep an eye on them in case it gets too aggressive. They should settle down with each other once the pecking order is established.

The other thing is, if you buy males you will need two otherwise the two hens could start fighting over a single.

You could take the new hen back to wherever you bought her and tell them it is a hen and you wanted a Cock. Which should have reddish cheek patches, a thick chest bar and red & white speckling along it's flanks. Much the same as the bird in the following photo. Aug17_6.thumb.JPG.b6fa0d39d5b4d1decbbb84160c7f395b.JPGThis is a Black Breasted but you get the idea what it looks like

There are variations depending on the mutation of the bird and a Pied would have broken patches, chest & flanks. Avoid White as both sexes are same colour and you would need to see it singing to know it was a cock.

Don't be afraid to ask questions on here

1 hour ago, Andyn said:

Your new bird looks to be a Fawn Pied hen and seems to be quite dominant. Apart from separation (which defeats the object of having two I guess) you could just let them get on with it but obviously keep an eye on them in case it gets too aggressive. They should settle down with each other once the pecking order is established.

The other thing is, if you buy males you will need two otherwise the two hens could start fighting over a single.

You could take the new hen back to wherever you bought her and tell them it is a hen and you wanted a Cock. Which should have reddish cheek patches, a thick chest bar and red & white speckling along it's flanks. Much the same as the bird in the following photo. Aug17_6.thumb.JPG.b6fa0d39d5b4d1decbbb84160c7f395b.JPGThis is a Black Breasted but you get the idea what it looks like

There are variations depending on the mutation of the bird and a Pied would have broken patches, chest & flanks. Avoid White as both sexes are same colour and you would need to see it singing to know it was a cock.

Don't be afraid to ask questions on here

Thank you very much for your help !