Mégane

Breeding optimisation

Dear all,

I have a couple of zebra finches that just had a little chick (He went outside the nest 2 days ago).

I noticed that the parents already started to mate again. For now they seem to feed the chick without problem, but I am afraid they will abandon him at some point if they focus on their new eggs they will have soon.

> When should I remove the nest to prevent a new breeding without disturbing the little chick ?

> Also, can I increase the number of chick per clutch by increasing the size of the nest or something like that ?

Thank you !

Best,

Mégane

IMG_9597.JPG

Hi Megan, and welcome to the forum. That's a smart looking Pied chick you have there.

I don't think you would have to worry about the parents abandoning their chick. Even if they go to nest again at least one of the parents will feed it. We use the 35 day rule which should be time when the chick can fend for it's self but I've had them eating on their own before that time and at the other end of the scale, still being fed after 6 weeks.

Nest/ box size doesn't increase amount of chicks. There are more natural methods. If only one chick hatches there could be any number of reasons with the other eggs being infertile, going 'addled' or dead in shell (chick dies before or during hatching. We candle the eggs after 5-6 days of incubation and look for red lines (veins) The shell has probably gone an Opaque colour and any infertile egg shell goes shiny and obviously no red lines when Candled. If the pair are young (more so the hen) then she might not be reacting to the Cock bird when mating takes place.

Hope that helps.

Andy N

• Thanks 1

Hi Megane,

Welcome to Zebra Finch Forum.

I can't add anything to the advice that Andy has given you and I agree it's a nice pied chick, plenty of white with the odd patch of grey.

If you need more help, please do not hesitate to ask.

Gary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Megane,

I've move your post to the genetics section as you posted it in the photo competition where members don't have the ability to reply to it.

Gary