Sign in to follow this  
Rich

Just to say Hi!

Just a short intro to say Hi !

Getting back into breeding/keeping birds again after far to long away from the hobby. Used to keep and breed Zebras and various other types of birds and canaries when I was younger and helped my Grandad out with his stud of Roller canaries .

Just sorting a new birdroom out having recently moved house to Wiltshire and will be after some Zebra finch pairs later this year. 

I have at the moment 7 Raza canaries which I am going to be breeding from next year have been quite taken with these lovely little birds.

Anyway thanks 

Rich

Hi Rich and welcome to the forum. There is a member on here called Penny White who I believe lives in your county. Perhaps you could PM her and see if she has any Zebies to go.

I was looking at an advert in Cage & Aviary Magazine for Raza canaries for sale in Dorset. We have just assembled a new garden aviary (original started to collapse due to storms and wood rot) and wondered what Raza were like to help fill the new aviary. We have Fifes in there at moment, (It's a bachelor group) some non exhibition Zebs and mixed Bengalese. Would Razas mix OK please?

Oh! and there is our club. South Western & Southern Counties ZFS. (www.sw&sczfc.uk)

Andyn

Hi Andyn,

Yes the Razas would mix fine they are a lovely bird.  

Just finished my birdroom today so will be moving what I have in tomorrow .

I have picked up a nice pair of Chestnut flanked Zebras recently .

thanks 

Rich

Thanks Rich,

We decided not to go with the Razas. (didn't realise they were small) so going with Fifes and have contacted the breeder we got some from who will have some to go in about 2 weeks.

Closing down the breeding now and started to strip out and clean one of the indoor flights prior to painting. (we had a leak from guttering which found it's way in and stained the OSB lining so it will have to be solvent based which will be a bit strong smelling for a day or two)

Were the CFW from an exhibition breeder? If so, what is/are the ring number/s? It should read- say 15 N196 z17s. or similar. Please forgive if you know that already. Good luck with them.

If you are down Exeter way give me a bit of notice and come for a visit of my lot.

No not from breeder and not rung .

Be great to have a visit sometime 

Did you have a successful breeding season?

The start of the season in middle December through to end February was horrendous. I must have binned more dead chicks than I had adult birds in the shed. Then it went a lot better. I have rung 65 but have lost some after ringing so have about 58 ish. Normals didn't breed at all well only 6 surviving, Pied and the White bred like rabbits with CFW and Fawn/Cream doing quite well. But because they are later bred they might not be up to scratch in time for the Bigger Shows.

By the way, my club holds a Summer Show in August so if you want to come and see just give a shout. Our Website is www.swandsczfc.uk There is a copy of the Show Schedule with all the details you'll need.

Andy N

Will try to come along if time permits

By the way my pair of CFW have 4 chicks 3 days old they didnt hang about.