casamber

Black Cheek Split?

I have 3 chicks around 5 weeks old and keep noticing that one looks different than the others. I couldnt figure out what it was until this morning while feeding them i noticed the tear marks. They dont start under the eye like my other birds, they start just behind the eye. And they are more of a crescent shape which i have only ever seen in birds split to black cheek.

I have the parents, grandparents and great grandparents to this chick and never had a black cheek from any of them so im a bit lost on why this bird has these cheeks. Could it possibly have black cheek in there of just a fluke to have tear marks like this? Thanks.

Kerry

Kerry,

Yeah Daves right but don't rule out the BC gene as in Blackbreasted, Pied etc you can breed a long while and this gene can lay dormant over generations then all of a sudden out it will pop.

to give you an example in my shed this yeay i paired a Blackbreasted male with a CFW hen had 3 broods and in the first brood they 4 young 3 grey and 1 grey Isabel why don't know, 2nd brood 4 greys, finally 3rd brood 3 greys and 2 grey isabels. The funny thing about this i do not have any grey isabels apart from which i've just bred.

Just thought i would provide a little bit more info.

Trevor :)

Thanks Trevor. The funny thing is i actually have 2 black cheeks that just wont produce anything for me. The eggs are always fertile but never hatch :angry: Maybe i will split them up next year and try this chick with the BC hen. At least then i would know for sure if he has any BC in him.

Thanks again!

Kerry

She turned out to be a really nice looking hen. I will get a picture soon and post it here. I havn't bred her yet as she is still a little too young for my liking but she is laying eggs on a regular basis so im thinking of pairing her up soon.

Kerry

Here is a picture of the hen now. I havn't had any chicks from her yet and have no black cheek cocks to pair her with yet so still none the wiser.

post-833-0-53943100-1365363386_thumb.jpg

Kerry