Sign in to follow this  
Sam Kelly

Introduction

Hi all.My name is Sam and I live in Preston, Lancashire. I'm a practising Falconer and have a passion for the countryside and wildlife, particularly birds and specifically Raptors. Through my passion for birds I'm looking into acquiring a pair of Zebra Finches. I'm new to this and have bought a couple of books and trawled through websites finding information on keeping Finches. I've also spoken to people who've kept Finches, Weavers and UK native species in the past. I'm also going to visiting local bird sales to see what's on offer.I'm hopefully looking at getting my pair in the near future, but I'm very particular in the animals that I choose to keep in my care, be it gundogs, birds of prey and hopefully Finches. I'd much rather purchase birds from a known breeder so that I know the history of the birds and also their ages etc. Ideally I'd like to purchase an unrelated pair of young Zebra Finches.If anyone knows of any breeders who could help me out, in or around Lancashire or the North West, it'd be greatly appreciated if you'd let me know.Thanks in advance.Sam

Welcome to the forum Sam. It’s a bad time to be looking for good quality birds as most breeders have only just started to pair their birds for the coming breeding season, although some do breed birds all year round. Jeff on here lives in your neck of the woods and he’s just started with Zebs again, not sure if he will have any yet though?There’s also a sale at billsburrow village hall on Sundays which you may be interested in.Good luck,Gary.

hello sam ...i'm in the preston area as gary says but i've only got 4 pairs of zebs at the moment ...theres a sale at bilsborrow village hall this coming sunday ,but they do start very early ,too early really!! ...but to get the pick of the birds there its best to ther about 8 ish ...have you been there before??jeff

Cheers for the replies Gents.I'm meant to be going up to Bilsborrow Village Hall with a mate who'se kept Finches, though not sure about this weekend as the Jeep's in for it's MOT tomorrow so may not has transport available. I did think that, as I know the breeding season for Raptors is Spring time, the bird I've flown this season is going into a breeding project in the next couple of weeks. So I may be better waiting for this years birds then? As I would like to know the history etc if possible, or is this abit obsessive?!Are you planning on breeding this year Jeff?Cheers again,Sam

sam if your ever around manchester area you are welcome to come round for a brew and a look at my set up and birdsmight be able to sort you out with a decent pair to get you up and running

• Like 1

sam if your ever around manchester area you are welcome to come round for a brew and a look at my set up and birdsmight be able to sort you out with a decent pair to get you up and running
Cheers again for the replies!That's a kind offer Dave, I might just take you up on it. If you could help me with an unrelated young pair I'd definately be interested.