Sign in to follow this  
Emmy

Colouring?

I've just noticed tonight when she was sitting in the nest that my CFW hen has odd markings on her beak.

Her beak is an orange/red but it has a black marking on either side on the beak. She also has 2 cheek markings one close to the beak and another one where it should be The other ones I have dont look like this. I tried to get a photograph but she came off the nest and I dont want to upset her just now. Is this normal?

Emmy

Hi Emmy

Some Hen birds do get phantom cock markings of differing amounts be it chest barring,flank markings or cheek marks,in show birds this is considered a colour fault but does not mean a good pair should not make the show bench.

Paul.

Thanks Paul I really was concerned that there was maybe going wrong with her especially with her beak haveing the black markings onit

Emmy

emmy this is a common fault in big show birds hens showing slight cock marking

such birds wont win anything on showbench but there is nothing physically wrong with them

they are perfectly healthy birds

not sure what the black on the beak is though

Hi Dave

I don't know i've seen a few with ghost flanks and the like win their classes.

Paul.

Thanks Dave

I wont be showing the Finches I have. I just like having them and looking after them. She is last years bird and her beak looks as though when its been changing from black to the orange/red colour (when she was young) that patches havent changed colour leaving balck spots on her beak but the odd thing is those black spots are identical on both sides of the beak. She is a real healthy bird I was just curious just in case something was wrong.

Emmy

Just a pity I cant get a close up photograph of her - cant chance opening the door of the cage to get a clear shot I've had enough for this week with birds escaping and flying around the house :D

PS If someone had taken a video of me then I guess I would have got £250 on 'you've been framed' lol

Emmy