Sign in to follow this  
ssteves

Pheo's Hens

hi i have just brought 4 pheo's should be 2 hen's and 2 cock bird's the male's have complete orange heads,the hen's are sort of plain which i expected,i have just noticed on the hen's a very slight orange cheek patch like you would find with a normal zeb cock bird,is that correct or are they a young cock bird,i will post some photo's when i get home

thank's steve

Hi Steve,

you need to resize your photos to 640x480 before you can upload them onto the forum, if you already have them in Photobucket you can resize them directly from there.

If you need any more help just let me know.

Gary.

Hi Steve

Is one of the cock birds orange on the chest as in the second photo the back cock looks like it.

Paul.

Hi Steve

I wonder if he has Orange breast going on as well as i it looks like it in that photo if you can post one of him showing chest, those hens could be as well have a look at their tales for orange tints to the feathers.

Paul.

hi paul

some one else told me he might be orange breast as well,i will try and take a photo of him if he sit's still long enough,all this genetics stuff is new to me,so what colours can i expect with any young i get.

steve

Hi Steve

Do you know if they are unrelated i only ask as they are all the same mutation there or there abouts, if you pair them and there is orange breast in them as well you well get a selection

Pheo cocks and hens "Black Breast,Fawn,Isabels" some split Orange breast as well

And Orange Faced Pheo Cocks and Hens "Orange Breasted,Black Breasted,Fawn, Isabels".

Paul.

hi paul

when i brought them i got them from a bird dealer she said the birds she had brought came from 2 different suppliers,but the leg rings the same colour on both cock birds so i would say they are from the same person

can you recommend a good book on zebra finch mutations for me and thanks for all your help

steve

hi all

i had a look in one of the nest's this morning and there looks to be at least 3 chicks at the moment and a couple more egg's in there so hopefully i will have some nice chick's

also for future reference what other colour when pair with a phaeo would give me some nice chick's

steve

Hi Steve

When you don't pair phaeo to phaeo you will produce split birds as the mutations that make up a phaeo are recessive and needs two birds with them either in visual form or split to produce them, check out the genetic calculator to see what i mean.

Paul.

hi paul

i was having a read on acadiana aviaries web site and it said phaeo's are a very important part of the ingredient used in creating a number of other desirable combinations so i was wondering what were the best colours to use with them

i have had a quick look on the genetic calculator,i will stick to just pairing phaeo to phaeo for now

thanks steve

Hi Steve

if that cock you have is more orange than a Normal Phaeo then he will have BF or Orange breast in him as well as the mutations that make up a phaeo so he would be a good starting point if its the more orange birds your after, can you place a photo of him on here.

Paul.

Working to combine multiple colours such as

Orangebreast blackbreast blackface Isabel will make them more colourful.

Phaeos are tat least blackbreast Isabel

Like Paul said 1 maybe blackface or split or full orangebreast too. Hens are harder to tell and ud need both carrying several mutations to combine all 4 colours.

Dave

hi paul i will try to get a photo of him but he spends most of his time in the nest

Phaeos are tat

dave i did'nt think they were that bad :lol: :lol: :lol:

hi paul

thank you for that i can't wait for the chick's to get their feather's,i think the other hen is might be sitting on egg's now,she is alway's in the nest when i go in the shed i can't see in the nest box as there is a conifer branch in front of the nest to give her privacy where tho other one has laid the egg's in a outside nest box

steve