tina

Hello From North Wales

Hi, my name is Tina I live in North Wales with my family and a variety of pets, a great dane, 2 rabbits, a rat, an african pygmy hedgehog and now 2 zebra finches. The finches (Arthur and Martha) were a very nice surprise present for christmas. I have been looking for as much information as possible on these little feathered friends after seeing some on a day out a few months ago, obviously there is still lots more I will need to learn, but hopefully I have come to the right place for advise. 

I am a bit concerned as my female is pulling feathers from the back of the males head and eating them if anyone could advise on this I would be very grateful.Sorry if I have put this in the wrong part.

Thanks

Tina,

Welcome to the forum, Are the birds in an aviary or a cage ?

I would say she is doing this, because she wants to build a nest (just my opinion)

Have you got any millet sprays hanging up or a piece of cuttlefish bone, this will possibly take her mind away from doing this.

These are just a couple of things to try, hope these help,

Trevor :)

Hi Trevor. They're in a cage 30x18x23 I have put some millet and a cuttle fish in and an extra food and water bowl.I have also took the long perches out and put four shorter ones in (about 6 inches long) so he can get away from her for a bit, only did the perches today, had to wait for pet shops to open. I'm thinking of trying clothes pegs on a couple of perches to stop her getting to him (read that on another sight) do you think that will help? Thanks for the advice.

Tina

Welcome to the forum Tina.  That was a lovely Christmas present to get and they will give you a lot of pleasure throughout the year.

another thing that keeps them occupied is if you cut short lengths of string and tie it to the cage they will go for that and perhaps stop plucking the feathers.  

What colour are Arthur and Martha? 

Emmy

Hi Emmy, yes it was a lovely surprise off my youngest daughter, she'd seen me constantly looking them up on the internet so got her dad to buy them for me from her (she's only 8). Sorry not sure of the correct terms for colours she is a lovely cream with what looks like grey teardrops and orange beak and legs, he is very pretty cream breast with brown and white wings, orange beak and legs. Thanks for the tip I will go to the shop after work tomorrow.

Tina

Hi Tina and welcome to the forum :)  My first pair of zebs were a christmas present from my husband 6 years ago. I warn you, they become addictive! :lol: I now have around 40 zebras with plans to breed more next year! Best christmas present ever!

Kerry

Hi Kerry

I know what you mean about addictive! I'm already thinking I'd love some more and we do have a spare room  :lol: But I'm going to be sensible for once and take my time getting to know these guys and fingers crossed maybe in a year or so who knows!!??

Tina

Hi Kerry

I know what you mean about addictive! I'm already thinking I'd love some more and we do have a spare room  :lol: But I'm going to be sensible for once and take my time getting to know these guys and fingers crossed maybe in a year or so who knows!!??

Tina

Just get them a nest ;)  Before you know it you will have plenty more haha

Kerry