Lizzieryland

Good Day!

Hello and thank you for letting me join the forum.  I had a pair of Zebras when I was younger and absolutely adored them.  After two years we had to give them to my Aunt as our Border Collie was wearing the carpet down around the cage trying to herd them.  They are still thriving and are now 16 years old!!  My partner and I are now looking for a pair to join our family and I thought the Zebra Finch Forum was just the place to go to.  I'd rather buy from a reputable breeder than a pet store.  I'll post a want ad and am looking forward to the conversations an advice give on the forum. 

My first question: I live in a single story flat and was wondering if others let their birds fly around outside the cage?  Do they return to their cages on their own if they are let out to fly?

Thank you

Lizzieryland

First I'll say welcome to the forum and you will get lots of advice from the members here they are a great bunch with lots of knowledge  about Zebra finches and are always on hand to give help and advice.

I know some of the members on the forum have said they let their Zebra Finches out the cage to fly around in the house  but in my opinion that isnt the normal situation. If a bird has had to be  hand raised, or perhaps if it has been handled constantly from when it was a chick then it may respond to being let out. From past experience though usually when a Zebra finch gets out from its cage or aviary they are very difficult to catch. When I have 'escapees' (lol) in my house (all mine are kept in the house) i have to use a child's fishing net to catch them believe me they are QUICK to get off the mark. 

Hope you're able  get the Zebra finches soon. Those others lived to a great age my oldest ones were 12 years when they died.

Emmy

ps If you do let them out make sure all your doors and windows are closed they'll get throught the tiniest of spaces LOL

Hi and welcome to the forum :)  I agree with Emmy. They are very hard to catch and they get quite stressed by being chased with a net.

16 years old! Whatever you are feeding them, i want some! :shok:  :laugh:

Kerry

Welcome to the forum. I have recently joined and have had some great advice regarding my zebra finches.

I have three a normal male and grey female. They have had a chick Fidget who is nearly six weeks old now.

They are let out in the evening and are quite tame , they fly in and out of the cage as they please during this time.

Although Jill (grey female) loves attacking my fluffy rug ! :lol:

Kerry you said

They are very hard to catch and they get quite stressed by being chased with a net.

If I had been able to get a video taken with me chasing the birds with the net I think it would have won me £250 on 'You've been framed' you said the birds get stressed! I agree but not half as much as the person chasing them :laugh:

Emmy

Haha i know the feeling Emmy. I had a bird escape in my shed and it took me 3 weeks to finally catch her again! I must have looked a right idiot chasing her around everyday before giving up lol

Kerry