Breeding Crested

May I contradict

You'll get

cfw crested males split blackcheek

Cfw males split blackcheek

Cfw split blackcheek hens

Cfw crested split blackcheek hens

As both are white, crest is dominant and blackcheek is recessive

thanks for your answers norfolk and dave!

Norfolk i'm a little confused about what u mean when u say " 25% Normal/Black cheeked Chestnut flanked males"

does it mean 25% normal grey with split of black cheeked chestnut flanked males? i don't understand how to make meaning of this.

what does normal here mean? by normal do u mean grey color? After the slash "/" are u talking about the split?

and dave and norfolk and anyone whose reading this, what if i get a cfw crested males split blackcheek or a Cfw crested split blackcheek hens from this mating. How can i use these offsprings to get a Crested cock or hen in the black cheek variety? To what type i should breed them with? My aim is to get  Black cheek Crested zebra finches!

Hi

The breeding result depend on if the White hen is also Cfw as well as white as some are, Cfw is a sexlinked mutation and White is recessive so work differently if the hen is not Cfw you will not produce Cfw coloured cocks but if she is you will

"Norfolk i'm a little confused about what u mean when u say " 25% Normal/Black cheeked Chestnut flanked males"

does it mean 25% normal grey with split of black cheeked chestnut flanked males? i don't understand how to make meaning of this.

what does normal here mean? by normal do u mean grey color? After the slash "/" are u talking about the split?"   Yes your right Normals is the term use for the Grey colour birds which is their Normal wild colour and the 25% Normal/Black cheeked Chestnut flanked males is as you thought, also Split is the term used in zebra finches for a carrier "a birds which carrys a hidden mutation"

Crest is a Dominant mutation and should be bred to none crested birds dont pair crest to crest, if your aiming for Black cheek crests use the birds your meantioned to Black cheek birds in the second year.

Paul. 

hello paul,

being an expert who do u agree with? norfolk or dave? and tell me of your prediction of the outcome of my breeding please.

and what black cheek birds will i cross with what birds to create a crest in my second year?

Hi

It all depends on what the hen is carrying if she is a white and has no CFW or Pied which as far as i'm aware you would not know till she has been test bred Trev would be right but if she is CFW Dave would be correct but with some of the birds also being split for White as it is a recessive mutation, But also another thing to bear in mind it the cock may be carrying unknow mutations himself.

I might i ask does the hen birds have tear marks if not she is more than likely Recessive white.

hello paul,

"being an expert who do u agree with?" I wish i'm just a Hobbyist who loves his birds. :lol:

From your Crest in your first year you should as Dave and Trevor say get crest offspring as crest is a dominant mutation "can't be carried hidden only visually" the production of them is random in a nest it could be a nest full of crested young or none at all and everything in between. Any Crested young you produce in this first year will be split Black cheek as will any none crest siblings, in your second year of breeding with the now grown crested young you can pair the to visual Black cheeks and hopefully produce Crested Black cheeks. 

Paul.

hi paul,

my female is completely white with dark brown cheeks. is this type called a CFW black cheek? or is it a White black cheek?

and i just cant wait to get a crested offspring which will be a split to black cheek! and then i can use these treasures to create crested White Black cheek! that would be amazing. my pair has already begun incubating today, they have 4 eggs. i will post pictures of the pair as well as their offsprings soon!

p.s i just remembered! the female i have was born from grey black cheek parents. how is this possible? even if its possible, what impact will this have on the offsprings?

hi all

to paul first - i did the predictions based on a cfw blackcheek hen - as if she was a recessive white- surely you wouldnt know its a full bc as this feature would be hidden??

mister finch - im now confused on your hen - as you described her as brown cheeks? if she has brown cheeks on a white bird - i suspect she is actually a fawncheek! can you post a picture at all? of both parents.

if it turns out she is a fawncheek you should get the following

greycheek split cfw, fawn males

greycheek crested split cfw, fawn males

grey split cfw, fawn males

grey crested split cfw, fawn males

cfw hens

cfw cheeked hens

cfw crested hens

cfw cheeked crested hens

so even more of a mix! and most will be sexable in nest too once feathers amerge

Cheers

Dave

hi all,

dave i will show you their picture in 2 days. Where i live the the fawn cheek and the black cheek are both called as black cheeks.lol.

thats y i termed the hen as black cheek although her cheeks are kind of dark brownish. the cheeks are not full like the males, the cheeks are only half formed. u will see it in the picture soon. The chicks when they hatch will reveal all the secrets hidden in their parents blood, lol!

I never imagined breeding zebra finches could be this technical. its a lot of fun though!

dave when u say "greycheek split cfw, fawn males" u mean the male would be a split for the regular fawn or a fawn cheek?

Hi

Yes Dave your right there if she were a Recessive white she would show no BC i didn't read it close enough and i agree she sounds more like a fawn cheek to me if she has brown cheek patches rather than black.

Black cheek and Cheeked such as fawn cheek and grey cheek are not the same, Black cheek is recessive and the others are dominant.

Paul.

Mister Finch

Since she is offspring of grey BCs, she cant be Fawn Cheek. Fawn Cheek [FC] (as this is internationally known) is a dominant mutation, so you can not have a FC with grey BC parents. You have to learn more about the terms that are used interntonally. You are right that here in Pakistan BC are BC if its grey, FC if its Fawn, Silver Cheek if its Silver and WC is its white (it is called CFW internationally, white is called 'solid white' in Pakistan). So, try to refer to the terms that are used internationally so that forum members can guide you properly. BC internationally means that the 'cheek patch' is 'black'. Cheek patch varies from dark black to light fawn and from full patch to a thick black tear.

Hope this helps.

yes it helped for sure. but skm CFW are white colored birds with lightish yellow cheeks, the same ones which are for 300 or 400 rs per pair. do u mean the same?  what will people call white black cheek internationally? 

hi,

how can i post a photo? i already tried to create an album on the gallery section, i reviewed and published the album but there are just no pics to be seen! i dont know whats wrong. how can i upload pics here?

Look to be just chestnut flanked whites to me

At best hen maybe split blackcheek

So all chicks will be same as parents cfw and cfw crested

Look to be just chestnut flanked whites to me

At best hen maybe split blackcheek

So all chicks will be same as parents cfw and cfw crested

Hi

i can see something but not enough to tell from the photos could you post clearer ones so we might be of more help could it be that this hen is infact a very faintly marked CFW cock.

Paul.

hi 

paul the female has already hatched 3 chicks, they are 6 days old, i will show you all the pics of their chicks once they grow up. i hope i get atleast one crested out of the three chicks. i dont have a good cam to get a better picture than i already uploaded. thanks

Mister Finch

Hi

From the pictures posted this hen just appears to be a CFW i can make out faint cheek marks but not very well .

You do get birds which sometimes show cheek marks but are not infact a cheeked mutation.

darknormalchick1.jpg

The chick above looks to be either Split BC or Bc but is infact just a normal.

Paul.

• Like 1