Mister Finch

Breeding Crested

Hi Paul.

I dont mean to question you as you have much more knowledge and experience than me, but.... are you sure thats not a black cheek? :o  What would cause the black cheeks and do they moult out? It's very interesting...

Kerry

Hi Kerry

This young Normal cock has a large amount of Eumelanin this is a colour pigment in the feathers of the Zebra finch and is responsible for the greys and blacks in the birds colour, the birds above has a lot of this pigment and is quite a dark bird once it molted out it looked as below.

Paul.

Wow he is a very handsome boy! I just always figured that if they have black cheeks when they fledge, then they are black cheeks. If i produce any chicks with black cheeks, i wont get too excited until after the moult now :lol:

Thanks for the video Paul

Kerry

hi all

the pair mentioned in this topic had sucessfully raised 3 chicks but none of them was a crest. can anyone tell me why? atleast 1 should have been a crest.

secondly i was thinking that the male is CFW crested so it should be bred with a normal CFW hen for increasing the chances of getting a crested chick. do u guys agree with this?  i think the black cheeked female has a stronger genetic influence than the CFW crested male, is that the reason i did not get any crested chicks?

The pair is on eggs again, is there any chance at all to get crested chicks this time? if not then with what kind of a hen i should breed the CFW crested cock??

thanks

@ Mister Finch

You are also a member of Birdsplanert and Birdstalk and this has been discussed at length on these forums. However, for the sake of your ease, the following applies in case of Finches:

- crested is a dominant gene in finches and there is no concept of crest bred like budgies. So, pairing Crested (male or female) with non-crested counterpart ideally produces 50% crested birds and 50% normal; however the figures do change in actual meaning no crested in one clutch and all cresteds in the other clutch

- crested to crested pairing increases the probability of having cresteds from 50% to 75% but one is better off by pairing creseted to non-crested as this increases the overll number of crested birds to be produced from 2 crested birds.

- BC or any other gene doesnot affect the crested gene.

Hope this helps and wish you good luck for the new clutch. I have been able to breed BC crested in different colurs and OBBB cresteds following crested to non-crested pairing and Inshallah will produce EUMO crested in the near future.

• Like 1

Mister Finch, what skm ha said is right.

50% doesn't mean that half your chicks in each clutch will be crested, it is more of an average taken after many, many clutches. I have a Black Face male that has produced 8 young so far in 2 seperate clutches, and only 1 of those chicks has been black face. But his next round could produce all black face, it is just a waiting game.

Good luck, i hope you get some crested in your next clutch!

Kerry

• Like 1

I agree with Kerry. For example, I have a clutch of 6 chicks, the cock is crested, the hen fawn. From this clutch, 5 chicks are crested. If the ratio were respected, I should have had 3 crested.

• Like 1

hi casamber, i know how it feels when u want a particular type of offsprings and u just dont get them lol. i hope u get all of the offsprings as black faces in future. good luck!

• Like 1

hey punky. you are really lucky to get such a big clutch of crested! i just want a couple of crested so that i can have a whole flock of crested zebras and if i do i will be rich:P lol

A couple of crested ? You shouldn't breed two crested together, because lots of their eggs would die before hatching. And the offsprings could be crested or not. They could be more fragile too.

• Like 1

Sorry for the misunderstanding. You could also have some next year if this couple of cfw breed some crested cfw chicks. I think crested cfw look gorgeous ! Then you could also find a beautiful cfw hen/cock for each crested cfw you'll get.

• Like 1