Sign in to follow this  
Ozzy747

Surprising New Additions

Bought a mixed bag of goodies yesterday and pleasantly surprised. Saw an add for a couple of canaries, couple of bengalese and a couple of pairs of zebras. Wanted some new blood in my aviary and needed two hen canaries so I bought the lot. A long distance photo of the cages showed some coloured zebras of which I could see were different to the colours i already had. Not sure the previous owners had a lot of knowledge about them.

Upon collection and studying, I think all 4 adult zebras are black breasted. 3 of them are also crested. And both pairs have young which are just fledging. Fortunately, I transported them home in their breeding quarters and they are all doing fine. One of the young from the pair though looks to be all white or cream. Not seen it properly yet tho. How would I get this colour from what looks like a fawn BB male and a fawn BB crested female???

Hoping to add some pictures soon!

:post-163-0-82961100-1371674732_thumb.jpg-)

post-163-0-43428300-1371674924_thumb.jpg

Hi Scott,

both are fawn BB split for isabel.........and that's why this young is an isabel BB (fawn).

Michael

• Like 1

Better than I thought then. 

The Pair that are both crested have produced what looks like two young bb fawns that are also crested. See pic. I have now got a lot of organising to do in the cages and aviary. Some of these will have to be sold on I think especially with the young ones amongst my aviary. 

post-163-0-06669100-1371744827_thumb.jpg

Hi all

Do you agree with Michael above with regards to the isabel fawn chick? Will both parents be split isabel or could it be just one? Is the isabel completely hidden in them or is there a clue to them being split? I am going to keep the pair together and hope that I can get a fawn isabel 'crested' in the next nest.

Thanks

Scott

Scott,

The isabel you've got is the fawn variety also you can get the grey variety.

If you breed either 2x fawn Isabel splits or grey Isabel splits, you would get, 50% Fawns split Isabel males and females, 25% Fawns males and females + 25% Isabel males and females. 

As far as I know Isabel is un-noticed on a carrying zeb. Only through breeding records.

This next bit is just my opinion, I would not pair the two crested together again as crests are dominant, which means if two dominants of the same type are pair you can run the risk of blind or even dead in the shell chicks, the two crested chicks are a double factor crest which definitely should not be put to any other crest. A double factor zeb is no visual difference to a single factor zeb, so if it were me I would definitely ring these for future use.

Hope you don't mind me saying Scott,

Trevor :)

Hi Trevor

Thanks for you input. The two crested have been split up tonight. I had read previous threads and information from other sites that suggested two crests should not be paired but as I had bought them like that and they were raising the young already, I have only just managed to seperate them.........though they dont seem too impressed with me at the moment!.

All my birds where aviary bred before but buying these breeding cages with theses birds has opened up a whole new challenge for me. The pair that have created the fawn isabel are staying together as I would love a crested fawn isabel. Only the hen is crested in this pair.

I have now paired up the crested fawn bb hen to what i think is a Fawn BF Light back/cfw. Thats a genetic challenge someone could help me with???

I am also going to bring what I think is a cfw/bc hen and a cfw/bc cock out of the aviary to aim for a nice cfw bc!.

Thanks

Scott