Sign in to follow this  
jonmpope

Fawn Cheek X Cream

Hi Jon

The Fawn cheek is basically a fawn but has the cheek mutation as well which means it may or may not throw out Cheeked birds when bred, but the rest of the genetics about the bird is just the same as a regular Fawn.

Paul.

Hi paul do you think that they'd throw fawn cheek and cream youngsters? I wondered if the cheek might cross over in any creams bred-cream cheek?

Hi adam- not sure if this helps but this year a fawn cock mated up with a cfw cheeked hen in one of my flights. They reared 7 chicks four normal cocks and 3 grey cheeked cocks. Do you know the parents of the grey cheek cock?

Whilst we are on this subject...

What would...

Grey Cheek Cock x CFW Hen produce

If a Grey Cheek can be split assume its either fawn or normal

Thanks

Adam

Adam,

I've done this, if you go to my gallery (trevs zeb's) there are some photo's on there of young from the pairing you are talking about.

There is also a photo of a white bodied male with cheek markings on a nest box in aviary he is one that coloured up the best. (he's gone to the zeb's in the sky) :(

Hope this helps,

Trevor :)

I know Adam 7 is pretty incredible hey! The hen was daughter of a cheeked cfw hen from Trevor that I'm keeping as a foster hen if I dont breed from her. I was more amazed when all 7 turned out to be cocks!

Hi Guys

The best way to look at a Dominant cheeked bird is just as if it wasn't cheeked, by this I mean if its a Fawn cheek it will produce offspring the same as a regular fawn but with some of the resulting offspring having a chance of inheriting the Dominant Cheeked mutation.

So Fawn x Normal =

Fawn Females
Normal/Fawn Males

But if you then take into account the fawn cock is not just a fawn and has the Dominant Cheeked mutation making him a fawn cheek any of the resulting offspring from the pair can be cheeked as well .

So

Fawn cheeked hen could be produced as well as Grey cheeked/fawn cocks from the above pairing.

Now in Jon's pairing of a Fawn cheeked cock x a cream hen we have two different Dominant mutations so if we removed these mutations so the pair was a simple Fawn X Fawn Pairing

we all Know we would get 100% Fawn.

But if we take into account the Cream Dominant mutation so Fawn X Cream we know we have a chance at producing Creams offspring from this pairing

so

Fawn cocks

Cream cocks

Fawn hens

Cream Hens    With the passing on of the cream being totally random per nest.

The same is true with the Dominant Cheeked mutation if we look at this part of the pairing so Fawn cheek cock X Fawn hen

Fawn Cocks

Fawn cheek cocks

Fawn hens

Fawn cheek Hens  with the Fawn cheek again being in this paring being completely random per nest.

Adding the two together so Fawn Cheek cock X Cream Hens we would get

Fawn cocks

Fawn cheek cocks

Cream Cocks

Cream cheek cocks

and

Fawn hens

Cream hens

Fawn cheek hens

Cream cheek hens     as you can see the result is just a combining of the two other results and a combining of the two mutations in some of the offspring.

I Hope this is of some help.

Paul.

• Like 1