Sign in to follow this  
penguin

Washed Out Cfw's

What is the best way to get some strong colour back into CFW's, I've seen pictures from European fanciers and there colours are nearly as strong as normals, the only ones i've seen lately have been very washed out. Is it possible to get the colour back ? or is it a long drawn out process which will take many seasons.Wayne

What is the best way to get some strong colour back into CFW's, I've seen pictures from European fanciers and there colours are nearly as strong as normals, the only ones i've seen lately have been very washed out. Is it possible to get the colour back ? or is it a long drawn out process which will take many seasons.Wayne
Hi Wayne,Tricky one this to answer,sometimes the parents throw good coloured cfws,sometimes they don`t.The birds your refering to from European breeders are in fact a totally different cfw altogether,ie ours are called English Cfws and theirs are called Continental.Both mutations are Sexlinked in inhertiance but the Continental variety differs some what to ours.When our chicks hatch out they are Dark Skinned,but the Continentals are Pink Skinned and almost look like pure Whites when they hatch,they also seem to have red eyes when young as well.Two main differances to look out for in Continentals is their tail bars are jet black and white and they also have a more creamy white appearance through their backs,whereas ours have more of a grey/lighter black and white tail bars and are generally white through the back,unless of course Fawns been introduced into them.I`ve kept and bred the Continental variety some years back 2004-2006,but haven`t seen any since i kept them.If you intend breeding nice coloured Cfws,you should try and get hold of the best Coloured Cock birds you can find and pair them to good Normal Hens,at least this way you`ll know you`ve got good colour to start with.Hope this clears a few things up.Scott
  • Like 1

Cheers Scott,There's obviously more to breeding these little critters than i thought, think i need to take one step at a time and not run before i can walk.Thanks againWayne

last year i introduced normal into my cfw and bred some normal/cfw cocks i kept the best two of these to pair to cfw hens this yearboth cocks produced some cfw cock youngsters and the colour has definatley improved in this years youngstersi have retained these two cocks to use next year and an aditional normal/cfw cock youngsterobviousley by pairing this way a number of normals wll be produced but normal hens are usefull birds to produce whatever you are breeding and the split cocks very usefull n maintaing and improving colour imo