Sign in to follow this  
Chill

This Years Young

Just thought I'd share a pic of some of this years young mutations ,shame you can't keep them all isn't it you get quite attached to them when youve watched them colouring up, the black breasted male is split for black cheek , I'm going to get him a nice exhibition sized black cheek hen for next season I think ( if I can find one ) seems like all the serious guys are snapping these up to put with there cfw but here's hoping,I think the hen in the middle is bf bb would it be a bad idea to pair her up with a bf male or is that not a good idea because of the bf death gene ( dominant ) or is it ok because of the bb in her.

post-3469-0-57307000-1409860137_thumb.jp

post-3469-0-02329900-1409860197_thumb.jp

post-3469-0-13458700-1409860252_thumb.jp

Chill,

Good range of zeb's you have there,

All look good well done,

The answer to your question is yes you will prob' have that DF scenario,

It would be lessoned by the other BB gene, but I still don't think it's a good idea,

If it was me I would put her with a BB,

This should give you 50% BFBB (males and females) & 50% BB (males and females),

Please don't be put off from what I've said, you've got to make your own decision and that's how we learn,

Hope this has helped you,

All the best with your breeding and thanks for posting pic's,

Trevor :)

Cheers Norfolk I thought this would be the case but this helps me when selecting which pairs to keep for next year I've just got to watch my big black faced male when there being flighted together easier said than done though as he's a real charmer with the hens that one haha. I have been using exhibition sized grey hen split for bb and fawn ( I'm guessing split fawn as she has fawnish cheeks and throws out fawn hen chicks for fun )to try and get some size into a few of the birds this year and have succeeded in getting some larger mutations out of her just need to find a massive bb or bf hen for next year as well as bc oh my god the wish list is growing by the day.thanks for the help

Hi Chill,

Hope you don't mind me saying but your hen is not split for fawn.

Fawn, CFW and LB are sex linked and only male zeb' scan carry those genes,

The hens will only be visual to pass these genes on.

Hope this makes sence,

Trevor.

Thanks Trevor must be the blackface male that's passing on then which makes sense now as he fathered a fair few fawn hens with his last mate as well , cheers for the info much appreciated.

Yeah a split to fawn male paired with a Normal hen would produce:

25% Fawn Hens

25% Normal Hens

25% Normal/ Fawn Cocks

25% Normal Cocks

Hope this helps. And for sex-linked mutations just think of them as dominant in Hens and recessive in Cocks

Good info kareem thanks, I seem to be getting a lot of fawn hens this year seems like most of my males are split to fawn.