Emmy

Diamond Doves

I have 5 Diamond Doves in my aviary with zebra finches, canaries and 4 cockatiels. Plenty room for them all. 

A pair of my diamond doves decided  to build a nest but the area they picked couldn't have been more unsuitable.  There's plenty of other safe areas in the inside flight but they chose this tiny corner in the inside flight and Yes! they have eggs in that tiny nest. Every time I check the birds I expect to find the eggs on the floor but so far they seem to be OK. It may be a different situation if the eggs hatch I doubt if chicks would stay in that tiny space.

5698eb75cdf83_January15th2016DiamondDove

My next job will be to fix up something below the nest to catch any chick that may fall out (if they do hatch)and have something warm inside that container just in case it falls out during the night.

(I have just bought some hand warmers that keep warm for 10 hours -(not plugged into any electrical supply or batteries so that may work)

Emmy

Just an update. There's been a vanishing act in the inside flight.  No eggs now in the diamond dove's nest. No eggs on floor of  inside flight, no broken egg shells either. This happened last year too when the diamond doves  had laid eggs in a nest in the outside flight.

Today I noticed my 4 cockatiels that are in the aviary, looking into all the nest boxes that are in the outside flight .

(I'm bringing in those nest boxes because I don't want any birds to begin nesting there ) 

I'm thinking its the cockatiels that may be stealing the eggs from the nests.

Emmy