Sign in to follow this  
mark1e

I Think It's Called A Cross Over

The other day i was looking in nest box and seen a Fawn lightback chick in nest box plus 2 Fawns and a Normal chick which i thought was very strange where has this Fawn lightback come from,well it all turns out that the cock bird parent is a Normal split Fawn Lightback from good friend Scott Cunningham which i got of him at Carlisle show end of last year,For some reason i should of not got this Fawn Lightback chick from the parent birds but it all turns out that a cross over have occurred i think it is very unusual as the parents are as follows,Cock Normal split Fawn Lightback with Fawn Hen below is couple picture of them but not best off as using mobile phone oldest chick is 15/17 days old,Plus today they have just fledged but i kept away as they was very nervus those pictures will follow next day or two,Parent cock birdnormalsplitfawnlightback.jpgAll in nestsplitnestoff.jpgFawn lightback chicknewlightback.jpgnewlightback3.jpgnewlightback1.jpgYour imput please all welcome,mark

Hi MarkScott is correct, then fawn lightback should be a hen. Nothing unusual has occurred here. I would add though, as you have previously stated that you would like to breed fawn lightback cocks, you should now pair the split fawn lightback cock to a visual fawn lightback hen, you will then have a chance of producing a visual cock.CheersDave

Yes mark you could have Either sex in the Normal and also the 2 Fawns but only Hens i`m afraid in the Fawnlightback :) Have you managed to breed anything from the other birds you got off me?I`ve Bred a nest of 5 in December from a Fawn/Lightback Cock to a Fawnlightback Hen And have produced my 1st ever Fawnlightback Cock,just a pitty he`s not bigger but has good head features and type and may improve over the next 6 months or so.Also had 3 Fawnlightback Hens and for me the pick of the bunch a really cracking Fawn Hen,the best Fawn i`ve bred in the last 5 years or so :) Scott

Hi MarkScott is correct, then fawn lightback should be a hen. Nothing unusual has occurred here. I would add though, as you have previously stated that you would like to breed fawn lightback cocks, you should now pair the split fawn lightback cock to a visual fawn lightback hen, you will then have a chance of producing a visual cock.CheersDave
Thanks for that one Dave when i start up again in couple months time i have just the right bird for that 10 month old fawn Lightback hen well there are two to choice from and the other will go with right nice Cream cock bird which the parent off that bird is fawn split for lightback,This year might just be breeding year with me having me operation but Happy days are here again bring it on :) mark

Hi According to what i have read the pairing you have bred from can produce only Fawn Lightback hens and these can only be produced with the aid of crossing over.The website below is worth a look if your interested in breeding Fawn lightbacks.My linkMark if you wish to breed Fawn lightback cocks and hens pair this cock to a Fawn lightback hen and you can breed both without the aid of crossing over.As i understand it Fawn And Lightback are both sexlinked but the combination of these visually in a bird requires the random event of crossing over.Paul.

Yes mark you could have Either sex in the Normal and also the 2 Fawns but only Hens i`m afraid in the Fawnlightback :) Have you managed to breed anything from the other birds you got off me?I`ve Bred a nest of 5 in December from a Fawn/Lightback Cock to a Fawnlightback Hen And have produced my 1st ever Fawnlightback Cock,just a pitty he`s not bigger but has good head features and type and may improve over the next 6 months or so.Also had 3 Fawnlightback Hens and for me the pick of the bunch a really cracking Fawn Hen,the best Fawn i`ve bred in the last 5 years or so :) Scott
Hi ScottGlad to hear you have had a good start, hope you breed some more !!!, you certainly deserve some luck !!!CheersDave

Thanks Dave,Those 5 is all i managed bringing me up to 20 for 2011 season.Haven`t got anything paired up as yet as the birds are moulting slightly at the moment,hopefully make some sort of start in March,all things going well.Have you made a start yet?Scott

Thanks Dave,Those 5 is all i managed bringing me up to 20 for 2011 season.Haven`t got anything paired up as yet as the birds are moulting slightly at the moment,hopefully make some sort of start in March,all things going well.Have you made a start yet?Scott
Hi ScottOnly paired up the end of January, and then only 12 pairs, most have now laid and have been incubating for a couple of days, so only just started really. Not holding my breath though !!, particularly after last year !!CheersDave

Hi According to what i have read the pairing you have bred from can produce only Fawn Lightback hens and these can only be produced with the aid of crossing over.The website below is worth a look if your interested in breeding Fawn lightbacks.My linkMark if you wish to breed Fawn lightback cocks and hens pair this cock to a Fawn lightback hen and you can breed both without the aid of crossing over.As i understand it Fawn And Lightback are both sexlinked but the combination of these visually in a bird requires the random event of crossing over.Paul.
Hi PaulThank you for the link i have just had quick browse at it but i will have to take my time understanding the In's and outs of this cross over and read it more after there is a lot to take in cheers mate,mark

Hi Mark Under the pairings were it has the outcomes some are shown in a red box these are the outcomes through crossing over and the ones not in a red box are the normal breeding expectations.Paul.

Hi PaulThank you for the link i have just had quick browse at it but i will have to take my time understanding the In's and outs of this cross over and read it more after there is a lot to take in cheers mate,mark
Hi MarkThe links great, but i wouldnt read it too much, or you might end up totally confused, believe me - all you need to do to have a chance of producing visual fawn lightback cocks is pair the split cock you have to a visual fawn lightback hen !!CheersDave

Yes mark you could have Either sex in the Normal and also the 2 Fawns but only Hens i`m afraid in the Fawnlightback :rolleyes: Have you managed to breed anything from the other birds you got off me?I`ve Bred a nest of 5 in December from a Fawn/Lightback Cock to a Fawnlightback Hen And have produced my 1st ever Fawnlightback Cock,just a pitty he`s not bigger but has good head features and type and may improve over the next 6 months or so.Also had 3 Fawnlightback Hens and for me the pick of the bunch a really cracking Fawn Hen,the best Fawn i`ve bred in the last 5 years or so :D Scott
Hi ScottI have got one of your cream cock birds with chicks at moment chicks are one is cream other 3 fawns, other birds not tried yet as the one's off mine are still young to be paired with them will try in April and i have lost that big cream hen that freebie :( mark

Hi Dave I agree dont read it just look at the breeding expectations the ones below the pairs,its just useful because you dont always have enough of your first choice pairings such as a Fawn/lightback x Fawnlightback,so its a useful guide to help best pair the rest up and may be sneak a few more fawn lightbacks out.Regards Paul.

Hi MarkThe links great, but i wouldnt read it too much, or you might end up totally confused, believe me - all you need to do to have a chance of producing visual fawn lightback cocks is pair the split cock you have to a visual fawn lightback hen !!CheersDave
Hi DaveDon't worry mate i have two cracking visual fawn lightback hens ready and waiting i just got to wait for couple months unless wife takes over in birdroom catching up and pairing up for me,mark

Has anyone got any cracking fawn lightback cock birds they might loan me for few months of breeding age might just solve my problem out i need cock birds rapido with in next couple months,mark

Same here mate at moment unless out off the nests i have with young in turn out lightback cocks but i don't think so,But wait a minute the cream cock bird that produced my first ever cream lightback hen was paired to fawn hen,Right his father was fawn/lightback OK so if i but him with fawn lightback hen would i get fawn lightback cocks and hens!Genetics does my head in :rolleyes: mark

Hi Mark Yeah you would Get Fawn lightback cocks and hens as well as Fawn hens and any Fawn cock would be split lightback as well,oh and you would have the chance of cream lightback cocks and hens and cream hens and cream/lightback cocks. :rolleyes::(:D Paul.

Paul mate looks like i have right good stock here at moment going off all i have read tonight about lightbacks and splits,I will have to get my head i gear for next season i think and don't get rid of anything this year that i breed this could turn out good in long run, I know it's takes few years to get good stud going but i think i am getting there in long run this is one of the reason i joined this forum 13 months ago and getting in some good stock at the beginning big thanks to Dave Huntington and other champion breeders not forgetting Scott Cunningham as well,There might just be time though when i am out of hospital to get back in birdroom on me crutches and sort out something earlier than anticipated and get some birds on show bench who knows might just happen last time i was back on me feet on crutches within 4 weeks but i regretted it later :rolleyes: mark

Dont rush it mate theres always next year.Paul.
Hi PaulBut when you have that Adrenalin rush you want to push that little bit harder now i have the ambition to do well in breeding,P.S speak soon wifes calling it's getting late :rolleyes::(:D mark

Here is the mentioned young fawn lightback hen it is very flighty at moment so not best of picture as she is only two days out of nest,FawnLightbacks.jpgmark