Emmy

What Type Are These?

I do know they are not exhibition standard birds but now that they're a big bigger am I correct in thinking I've got 'fawn lightbacks'? this is what it was thought when they were younger. I know I've also got a normal cock male didnt get his photo today (guess he's a bit camera shy :) )Feb_13_2012_no_11_cropped.jpgFeb_13_2012_no_15_cropped.jpgfeb_13_2012_no_6_cropped.jpgfeb_13th_2012_no_4_Cropped.jpgEmmy

Emmy, By the looks i would say top is a cfw,2nd down is a Fawn cfw, 3rd down is a cfw and boottom is a Fawn cfw all hens.could be wrong but there's a light from a window perhaps thats altering the light on the top and 3rd down.Trevor :)

Trevor I should have said that the top bird and the third bird are the same bird and the 2nd and the 4th are the same bird. (Wasnt trying to trick anyone but it was just I didnt think when I downloaded the photos to say that it was photographs of just 2 birds :) ps you matched them up perfectly***** to you :D Thanks again I have another 'white? one with a dark head so I guess she will be a fawn cfw as well. If the fawn cfw had been a male what colour of cheek patches would it have? Have just noticed on the 2nd from top photo there seems to be faint colour on its cheek patch do females have this?Emmy

Emmy, The cheek patches are the same as a normal cfw can be a different shade but generally that sort of colour.May i ask what are the parents. Sometimes hen cfw can have a sheen on their faces and if the light catches it, they can look different.Trevor :D

Could they be contienental cfw?
what is the difference between a cfw and a continental cfw?Sorry I cant answer that question. When I bought the parent birds, I didnt know about all the variety of colourss/names etc you could get I just really liked the look of them. I've noticed the hen has a ring on her leg but I've no idea what's on it. All I was told was that they were young birds and were not siblings, and I already knew it was a cock and a hen.Emmy

Helen said

i dont know about genetics etc, just if i like them or not.
:D Guess that make :lol: s two of us Helen :lol: Emmy

Hi Fawn and CFW have the same relationship as Fawn and lightback,this is because CFW and lightback are located on the same chromosome but with lightback being the dominant colour to CFW,So a cock which has both lightback and Cfw will have lightback on one sex chromezone and Cfw on the other,but with lightback being the dominant colour you will only ever get a Lightback/CFW cock and never a CFW/lightback cock,what this mean is that just as with combining Fawn and lightback requires the random event of crossing over so does the combination of Fawn and CFW.This is not a combination i have bred myself but i have heard that a CFW Fawn looks similar too a regular CFW but with a fawn tint to its white colouring and the Black of the tear and chest barring is replaced by brown. Paul.

Paul that is so interesting its taking me back to when I did my higher biology and looking at images of chromosones taken with an electron microscope. I had forgotten about that.When you mention lightback/CFW then CFW/lightback does this mean that the first 'colour mentioned in each would be the dominant gene? What difference would this show in the colour of the bird? eg does a lightback/CFW look different from a CFW/lightback?From that brood I also got what I think is a 'normal' cock bird (Orange cheek patches etc) so would that one be termed as a normal/lightback or normal/fawn mother being Fawn and dad CFWI have just had a close look at the cock bird (dad) (CFW) and its tear and chest barring looks to be dk brown not jet black so he must be a CFW/fawn. (the feathers on his back are white but not pure white.) Have I got this correct?Emmy :lol:

Hi Emmy You can only get a Lightback/CFW as although the cock bird carries both the lightback gene and the CFW gene the Lightback gene is the dominant one so this is the colour visually displayed,the Normal cock chick you bred will be Normal/cfw & fawn.I dont remember off hand what colour chicks the CFW cock has produced but it is possible he is a CFW Fawn if he was he would produce both CFW and Fawn hens.Paul.

Later on if I was to buy a 'normal' female and put it with the normal/cfw&fawn cock would there be a chance of getting 'normal' hens and cocks or would the cfw&fawn gene be always be present (is this what is termed as 'split?)Emmy

Hi EmmySplit mean carried hidden in canarys they call it a carrier.If you bred A Normal/Fawn & Cfw cock to a Normal hen you would have a chance of breeding Normal hens but also CFW hens and Fawn hens and any cock produced from such a pairing would either be Normal/fawn or Normal/CFW or Normal/CFW & Fawn.When you get into Fawn x CFW or Lightback x Fawn it get complicated.Paul.