Sign in to follow this  
norfolk flyer

Fawn Cheek query

Hi all, Can anyone clear this up, i've looked on a genetic site and one of the possibilities of matching a F/C male x Grey hen is that a G/C offsping can be produced. Is this possible. Has anyone done this pairing ? any comments Thanks in advance Trevor. :unsure:

Apparently the breeding results of Fawn cheek cock X Normal Hen are25% Normal/Fawn Males25% Fawn Females25% Cheeked (SF) /Fawn Males25% Cheeked (SF) Fawn FemalesAnd Fawn cheek cock X Grey cheek hen are25% Cheeked (SF) /Fawn Males12.5% Fawn Females25% Cheeked (SF) Fawn Females12.5% Normal/Fawn Males12.5% Cheeked (DF) /Fawn Males12.5% Cheeked (DF) Fawn FemalesHope this helps Trevor,as far as im aware it would work like a Fawn Cock to Normal Hen Pairing but with some carring the corresponding cheeked mutation.I did breed a Fawn cock to a Grey cheek hen and the results were1 Fawn Hen2 Fawn Cheeked HensPaul.

Apparently the breeding results of Fawn cheek cock X Normal Hen are25% Normal/Fawn Males25% Fawn Females25% Cheeked (SF) /Fawn Males25% Cheeked (SF) Fawn FemalesAnd Fawn cheek cock X Grey cheek hen are25% Cheeked (SF) /Fawn Males12.5% Fawn Females25% Cheeked (SF) Fawn Females12.5% Normal/Fawn Males12.5% Cheeked (DF) /Fawn Males12.5% Cheeked (DF) Fawn FemalesHope this helps Trevor,as far as im aware it would work like a Fawn Cock to Normal Hen Pairing but with some carring the corresponding cheeked mutation.I did breed a Fawn cock to a Grey cheek hen and the results were1 Fawn Hen2 Fawn Cheeked HensPaul.
Hi Paul, Thanks alot for the info i appreciate that. Did you get the genetics from somewhere or is it your personal experience. If it was the former one could you supply details please. I've got the zfs book of matings but that only goes so far with the mutations. Thanks again, Regards Trevor.

hi trevor at the moment ive got a fawn male paired to a g/c hen and I belive I should get from this pair

25%normal split fawn

25% fawn females

25%cheeked (sf)/fawn males

25%cheeked (sf) fawn females

but if your fc is a double factor then you would get this

50%cheeked (sf)/fawn males

50%cheekd (sf) fawn females

hope this helps

Richard

Hi Richard

Abandon the hope of double factor dominant mutation birds, there is, it is widely believed a lethal factor that prevents the production of double factor young.

Paul.

hi paul none of my birds are double factor but im sure some people out will have them. I only put the double factor in as an alternative to the single factor the only other thing I didn't mention and should is that if any other colours chicks turn up in the nest other than I wrote then the parent birds will be split for other colours and you can throw the calculations away because any colour can turn up any time its hit and miss sometimes

richard

Hi Richard

There are its is said no double factor dominant mutation birds such as fawn cheek, Black face and the like as doubling up on the dominant mutation leads to a lethal factor, its much the same in canaries with dominant whites and other animals not just birds, so any Dominant mutation chicks produced by two birds of the same dominant mutation mated together will only be single factor.

Paul.

hi paul I no that in the cheeked factor it is said that doubling up it can lead to blindness in the chicks but this mutation is known for this ,but I thought that in any other colour any eggs laid this way then most of the chicks will die in the egg and only a small majority hatch ?

richard

Hi Richard

Its is believed no Double factor birds will survive from any dominant mutation when doubled up, you get blind and eye problems with dominant cheeked chicks when they are not doubled up on.

Paul.

ok paul thanks for that its strange how a gene could do that it makes you wonder how may chicks died in the development of these mutation if any

richard