Sign in to follow this  
zebba 'D'

Silver Zebras

hi all,

Has anyone got any pictures of any good size silver zebra finches or show size?

Also is there any member that is breeding this type of colour?

Chris

i also forgot to mention, how can you tell if you have a df or a sf silver.

I may be wrong but i have herd its best to put

silver x normal.

But what happens if you where to put to

Silver x silver both been sf.

Chris

Hi Chris

It is a widely held belief that breeding two dominant mutations of the same type such like Silver x silver or another example blackface x blackface will result in only single factor chicks being bred,as it is believed that doubling up on these mutations leads to a lethal factor in which any double factor chicks will die,and as only single factor chicks can only be raised there is nothing to be gained in such a pairing as Silver x silver.

Paul.

hi paul,

I agree with you on the blackface x blackface

Do you no how you can tell if you have a df silver finch.

And what if you paired a

df silver x sf silver.

Just trying to get my head round the difference.

Chris

Hi Chris

Because of the lethal factor there should not be any Double factor Silvers as Silver is a dominant dilute mutation and is infact the same mutation as Cream but based on a different base colour,Cream being Fawn based and Silver being Normal,even if it was possible to produce a double factor silver which it i widely believed it isn't you may struggle to tell if the bird was infact a double factor or not,the reason for this is that dominant mutations produce a random number of chicks of the same mutation per nest i myself have had a pair produce a nest of 5 blackfaces and the next round produce all Normals,so if you bred a silver x Normal pair and produced nothing but Silvers you would not know wether you were just very very lucky or the bird you were breeding was infact a double factor Silver,which when paired to a Normal would produce only Single factor Silver offspring.

But let me just stress again it is unwise to double up on the same Dominant mutation and no proven Double factor Birds have ever been recorded.

Paul.

hi paul,

Cheers for that mate its becoming clearer now, how is a df produced in the first place?

Is it okay to pair

silver x blackface if both dom colours.

Chris

Hi Chris

It's ok to cross a dominant mutation to a different dominant mutation so say Blackface x silver.

A Double Factor bird is produced by the combining of two Single factor birds of the same dominant mutation e.g

Silver Sf x Silver Sf

50% Silver (SF)

25% Normal

25% Silver (DF)

The problem with this possible breeding result is the lethal factor of combining two dominant mutations of the same type leading to the death and deformity of Any Double factor chicks,this is a widely held understanding.

Below you can find the breeding results of pairing a Silver sf X normal pairing and you will notice that the average percentage of silvers in both sets of results 50% Single factor Silvers,as these are the only surviving Silver chicks you can see there is nothing much to be gained by doubling up on the same dominant mutation.

50% Normal

50% Silver (SF)

Paul.

hi paul,

Thank you for the information its makes it alot clearer for me now, there doesn't seem to be much information on the net about silvers or any pictures of exhibition size silvers.

Do you know of anyone that breeds them?

Chris

Hi Chris

I know a man who breeds some very nice creams :) may be if you ask him nicely for next year he might fix you up,then you can breed the creams to Normals and try to produce your own Silvers.

Paul.

i've a few silvers and silver light backs .. a good site to look at is jan pastoors ,theres some stunners on there ...i'm trying to get, by using my own stock some black faced siver light backs...might even produce my own bred creams ..

if you fancy a silver light back cock and your passing preston i can sort you one out for free ...i took it to stafford for some one on here but it failed to be picked up .regards jeff

• Like 1