I thought it was about time i had a look at the forum again, as it's been a while since I joined.

My interest in breeding Zebra Finches goes back many years (more than I'd care to think about - lol), but I actually took things most seriously when I lived in the Philippines for a few years and bred cagebirds including Zebra Finches on a fairly large scale. I had a couple of hundred pairs of Zebras, amongst other species, and built all my own cages and aviaries...many of which I custom-built for other expats and locals. The climate (very humid and hot) could be challenging and I had to be quite innovative with local materials, but overall I didn't have too many problems.

I'm also interested in freshwater tropical fishkeeping.

Regards to all...Graham, from York.

Hi Graham and welcome to our community.

A thorough introduction and very interesting, looking forward to hearing more about your breeding in the Philippines.

Gary.

Hello Graham

welcome to the forum.

I look forward in seeing some pictures and hearing more about your set-ups that you had in the Philippines, and as my wife is from the Philippines she is just as interested as me about your set-ups.

I also am interested and keeping tropical fish.

Jason.

Hi guys, and thanks for the welcome. :)

I'll try to find some pictures and give a little more information in future posts.

...Just working on going back abroad and taking up where I left off, now that my boy is going to uni' and relieving me of my 'human' responsibiliies here. :D

Jason, I was married to a Filipina for 15 years. ;)

• Like 1

Managed to find one or two old blurry pics...including some of my other birds as well as Zebras:

negs2038.jpg

(I later changed to basket-type nest-holders...which I could buy locally very cheaply, though they'd been designed for a totally different purpose. lol).

There were 3 big aviaries.

I also built a few dozen double breeder cages, but unfortunately didn't take pics of them, which is a shame considering the many hours of sawing, drilling and hammering it took to make them. lol.

The aviary below was 12 feet x 6' x 7' high. The biggest was 12 feet X 8' x 8'. Main frames constructed from Coconut wood and bolted together.

Double breeders were 4' x 15" deep x 18" high....constructed from local 1" x 1" hardwood for frames and enclosed in quarter ply.

negs2027.jpg

negs2026.jpg

negs2040.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Graham

Nice large sett-ups you have there i just wish i had loads of room all i got is brick shed now 8ft x 8ft but i must say i cope with it just,

mark