Sign in to follow this  
jugglerjeff

Red Flanked

i was reading somewhere (i think it was on the zebra finch society website written by dennis webster) an article about combining penguin zebs and cfw to make a red flanked zeb ,presumably the black bits on a cfw are suppressed by the penguin mutation and the grey backs of a penguin are overridden by the cfw mutation ??..so a cock bird of a red flank would just have orange cheeks with no tear mark and just the chestnut flanks ..on an otherwise white bird??.

but if you go on efinch .com and look at "good" pairings for penguins it dosen't advise putting penguins with cf whites...

anyone had any experiences ??..regards jeff

Hi Jeff

you are right, basically an all white bird with red cheeks and flanks, hens are all white. They were "in fashion" twenty years ago here in Italy, but nowadays have been forgotten because of the difficulty to obtain a clear body with strong orange markings. There were three types of red flanked: penguin+cfw, cfw+isabel and penguin+isabel. The last one was said to be the best of the three, I have bred years ago only penguinxcfw, the body was clear white but the markings were washed out as well. No worth (to me).

ciao

Dimitri