Sign in to follow this  
Clare L

Silver Male? Hopefully

Hi All,

Broken Foot chick is getting his adult colours, had a hard start to life but now looking great.

And looking like a silver male the only male his true parents have had this year. ( He had to be fostered)

new26092012025.jpg

new26092012058.jpg

Lovely bird Clare that wee one in the bottom photo seems to be having a lovely snooze :D

Emmy

Hi Dave

No not a Silver lightback as the lightback mutation in conjunction with silver makes the markings blacker.

Paul.

Hi Dave / Paul,

He is Very pale took me a while to notice his flank markings.

i do have one problem have nothing to pair him with for next year, all my good birds this year are related to him directly :wacko:

But still gives me an excuse to go hunting for some new Zebbies.

What would be a good coulor to pair him with?

I'm thinking a normal female possibly?

Clare,

I would go for a LB female if he's a LB Silver you should then get:-

25% Lightback Males

25% Lightback Females

25% Silver (SF) Lightback Males

25% Silver (SF) Lightback Females

Or if you pair him to a Normal Hen you should get:-

25% Normal/Lightback Males

25% Lightback Females

25% Silver (SF) /Lightback Males

25% Silver (SF) Lightback Females

If he's a Silver then pair him to a Normal Hen which then you could have:-

50% Normal

50% Silver (SF)

Hope this helps you,

Trevor :)

Hi Trevor / Paul

I would have to go with the silver on this, as I have had to learn and ask rather alot of questions on this colour this year.

This is the fist time I have ever bred silvers and they came out of the blue due to my lack of knowledge on some colours and pairings.

I do have a few normal chicks comming through not sure of sex yet, but hopfully one might be female, and the bonus is they are not showing any signs of being pied, as I would like to keep pied out of this line as it is new to me.

But will double check the parents for this as most of my normals do carry this in them.

Thank you for the advice with the gentics will come in handy for pairing my lightbacks, who unfortunatley are all related to my silver male.

All Cream, Silver & Lightbacks that I have had this year are all related so will have to plan extremly well for next year to continue the excellent results I have had this year.