Sign in to follow this  
ssteves

Help With Colour

hi i have been getting white birds with grey heads and colour up to a beige colour which i have been told are cfw,i have had one come out of the nest this morning and the head is beige is it still a cfw,i will try and get a photo when i have got some batteries for it

steve

thank's trevor it's avairy bred but i have seen the cock bird going in and out of the nest and the hen is a cfw the one's with the grey heads when they are young

i will try and take a photo tomorrow what other colours can you get in chestnut flanked zebs

steve

Steve,

Yep i still reckon Fawn CFW,

If Emmy sees this she could confirm as i know she has bred this type.

The answer to your other question is there are some other cfw mutations but some do not show any different than looking at a cfw.

The ones that are noticeable are Blackcheek CFW, Blackbreasted CFW and Blackfaced CFW if you use Pied, Penguin no good for looking at. Orangebreasted a possibility.

All the best,

Trevor :)

Hi Trev

The tear mark on that youngster does look very fawn in colour as it would be in a Fawn Cfw and that Fawn cock is quite white underneath could be split CFW.

Paul.

Steve /Trevor

Yes I have some looking exactly like those birds but I still get mixed up with them and what their proper names are.

Some that have been reared are pure white with dark heads and others pure white - their tail feathers are different too. some have dark brownish markings on their tail feathers and others have very very light fawn markings on tail feathers. others have white head a very light fawn colour on the back when they are sitting on perch. One thing that I'm certain about is that those ones I've been writing about are all females. the males all turned out to be 'normal' coloured . The parents were : cock CFW/ hen Fawn. I dont have any history for the parent birds I bought them as a pair that had been kept together for a time. So I guess all their offspring will be cfw/fawn hens and the 'normals' ? well I dont know how to name the cock birds except they are bound to be split for cfw/fawn.

A bit out of my depth here sorry- still at the discovering stage yet :lol: :lol: :lol:

Emmy

Emmy

thanks trevor/paul for confirming what it is,

emmy i am like you still trying to work out what each mutations are called when i first had zebs about 40yrs ago i only had normals just the same with my budgies when i got back into birds about 3 years ago there are loads of mutations even with my canaries i have four different types,also i have only bred hen cfw's though i have brought a cock bird so hopefully i might get some more cock birds

the trouble with breeding all these nice birds is which one's do i sell,plus someone i know is giving me about 20 more and there are some pieds amongst them

steve

Hi Steve

SELL?!! dont think that word is in my dictionary :lol: I get too attached to the birds BUT I'll need to change or the birds will be taking over my home. Before I will sell any I would need to be reassured they were going to be well looked after. Last year at this time I had only one peached faced lovebird and two Zebra finches. Now I still have the old lovebird and My two zebra finches have now become 20, plus 2 canaries and 18 quails and have two zebra finch nests with eggs. :o

Emmy :D

Some that have been reared are pure white with dark heads and others pure white

Hi Emmy/ Steve,

The white zebra finch I believe is a pied zeb, unless bred pure white to pure white to get 100% white.

This could be why they are showing other colouring, I have white zebs, pure and not so pure, and they to have a light fawn colouring to them and some tail bars.

The breeding I done was white to normal and fawn.

Not sure if this helps :unsure: Not to clever with genetics :lol:

But I'm sure whites being a pied zeb has a part to play

hi clare thank you any help is appreciated ,all these different names for the colours does get confusing in the budgie world a white/yellow budgie with a little colour would be called a recessive pied and a canary would be lightly varigated confusing to new comers

emmy i know what you mean about selling them to the right person if some one is going to travel a long way for the birds i know they will look after them,i sold some bengalese early on in the year to someone for a lot less than i advertized them for i gave him some nest pans and a cage for next to nothing and i took them to him with a round trip of about 50 miles so i did not make a penny on them but thought i was helping him out as he was not very old,a few month's later i saw he was selling them for more than he paid for them but never mind that's my moan over for today :lol:

steve

Hi all,

There are two type of CFW:

1. Regular CFW

2. Continental CFW

female Continental CFWs are similar to Regular, but have a cream back, black tail bars and red eyes. The Continental CFW females are also free of any black flecking on the head.

I hope this will help.

Regards,

Abdul

Hi

I wouldn't say these birds are continental Cfw's as the markings are far to pale.

Paul