Sign in to follow this  
Hendryclan

Dead Chicks

Hi all. I am new to this forum and very upset that the chicks my finches had made are dead. I found one of them out of the nest dead and when I checked the nest there was another one dead. There were two eggs left but they haven't hatched. This the first clutch of eggs for my zebra finches. Don't know where I have gone wrong. So upset. Did the finches have too much nesting material? Did I not do something right or the finches too young. They are both 4 months old. Is this too young? I really am lost as to where to go from here. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanx

Hi

Sorry to hear of your loses, its sounds to me like your pair haven't fed their chicks they may well do better next time.

4 months old is a little young to be breeding as young birds can sometimes make bad parents,can i ask did you give them any rearing food such as eggfood this can help spur them on to feed their chicks.

Paul.

• Like 1

First I'll say welcome to the forum I know you will get lots of advice from the members here. I honestly believe its nothing you have done that the chicks have died. It has happened with some of my birds in the past and it can be upsetting, but try not to blame yourself . Perhaps it could be that its their first lot of eggs and maybe its because they are young? next time it will probably be oK. I'm sure others will give you a more detailed explanation for this. If you have any other questions dont be afraid to ask. The members here are very good at giving advice.

Emmy

• Like 1

Hi Paul

They had egg biscuits and all the other usual bits and bobs. I think what you and Emmy said that they are still too young. I am going to leave the nesting bit for a few more months now. They both seem ok tonight. I have taken the nest out and they are happy enough snuggled up on their perch.

Is there anything else I can do next time to help them?

Sue

• Like 1

sorry to hear your chicks died however 4 months old is far far to young to be breeding from them,they are little more than chicks themselves im actually suprised they had fertile eggs

i would either split them up or take nest box away and try them in spring when they are mature

regards

dave

• Like 1

Thanx Dave

I have taken out nesting box. Not going to try again like you say until Spring next year. Let them have a bit of the "young lovers" fun until the kids come along!

Sue

welcome to the site and my advise to u is the birds them self are far to young and still growing in to adults its best not to let birds breed till there about year old even then u may still get dead chicks first nest due to them not knowing what to do but they soon settle and rear there chicks fine but u get the odd birds thats not good parents other things u have to take in to if chicks died because they got chilled as its getting darker now and colder which can caause chicks not to be fed enough or them getting chilled due to hen or cock off nest to eat just a few points to think of dont mean that u done anything wrong birds are learning game and you always learn more u keep them

• Like 1