Colly

Black Faced Zebra Finch

Hello I have a black faced zebra finch male what would be a good female and what colour mutations could I get from using different females

Thanks

Hi. I would like to combine black face with orange breast as i find it very attractive. Or perhaps black cheek? If you would just like to prduce more black face birds then you can pair him to a normal as Dave say's.

Kerry

Kerry/Colly,

You didn't say whether it was a grey or fawn BF, first of all stick with whatever type he is colour wise.

Then have a look at some photo's ie in the gallery and make your mind up which sort you like.

It's not a good idea to think oh i'll stick him with whatever and we'll see what comes out.

Do you want to stick with blacks or do you want to go down the orange road ?

If you put him to OB you will get:-

50% Normal/Orange breasted

50% Black face (SF)/Orange breasted

If you put him to BC you will get:-

50% Normal/Black cheeked

50% Black face (SF)/Black cheeked

Try and run two pairs identical and you can then breed back the splits the following year, which should get you nearer your target.

It's like baking a cake get your ingrediants sorted and the end result will appear.

Hope i've not detered you, all the best with what you decide,

Trevor :)

Hello he is a grey black face and was not just thinking oh I will stick him with anything I was just asking for advice and what birds I would get if I used different birds that's all as I am new to all these colours and trying to learn

Thanks for the advice

I like the analogy Trevor, it really is like baking a cake :)

I am mostly aiming to combine BFBBOB. But for now i am at a stage where i am waiting for chicks to mature before i can continue. So in the meantime i plan on pairing my BF with a BC while i wait. There's no harm in trying different combinations as long as you have the time, space and birds needed.

Good luck Colly with what you decide :)

Kerry

• Like 1

Colly,

Sorry if you got the wrong end of the stick, but i didn't mean you precisly, this is where text can muddle things up.

I was using this as an example, do the ground work first, i was trying to get things in order for you.

Now you've said he's grey type, BC, BB, Pied, Crest and Greycheek.

If you used Crest or Greycheek you would get instant result. BC, BB, OB and Pied you would get splits.

When you decide on what hen i would be only to happy to let you know roughly what you could get.

All the best,

As I am new to these types of bird I am welcome to all advice to be honest I have struggled to get and good birds to start with. Like I said I have a bf grey backed finch male my goal would be to get chicks from him with black cheek patches instead of orange what type of female would I need

Thanks

Colly,

1st of all you need a BC hen, this would then give you the 2nd pairing in my previous post. 50% Normal split BC & 50% BF split BC. (try to get two pairs)

2nd year put BF split BC with Normal split BC, this will give you:-

25% Normal/Black cheeked

12.5% Black cheeked

12.5% Black face (SF)

25% Black face (SF) /Black cheeked

12.5% Normal

12.5% Black face (SF) Black cheeked (this is the one with more black on the face)

Hope this helps.

Ps where abouts are you?

Colly,

I can provide you with a 2nd pair if you wish. A BF male and a BC hen so you can have two unrelated pairs running together.

I will be selling at newark and i will post my table no. nearer the time.