dannyboy2012

Hi All Newbie Here

hi, ive just started keeping zebs again after 7 years out but bearing that in mind im only 22.

i have some black cheeks, penguins, normal's and i think there are some chestnut flanks too, along with 4 bengals, 2 diamond doves and 2 pairs off javas

they are being kept in an indoor flight until i get the weather and all the materials too make an outdoor aviary its gonna be 8ft long,6.5ft deep and 6ft high.

im thinking about putting some plants in there aswell to make it look good and for the finch, they will be in pots so i can remove to help grow the plant before i put it back in, BUT i need help and advice in what plants too use.

thanks dan

hi dan and welcome

i have got bamboo,conifers,laurel? and a pyracantha in mine i did have different grasses in mine but when you forget to water them they don't live long :(:lol:

steve

Welcome to the forum Dan, glad to see that your back with birds after 7 years out.

Just ask as much as you like and I'm sure you'll get the answers you need.

You can also use the search function to find previous discussions and a wide variety of topics, it's at the top of the main forum.

Gary.

Hi Dan welcome to the forum and let me tell you it doesnt matter what age you are -- all are made welcome. I'm sure Josh will back me up on this he's a wee bit younger than you. :lol:

Emmy

thanks for the replies everyone

steve what size is your aviary, as mine is gunna be 8ft x 6ft x 6ft and dont want too over crowed it too much and was thinking more off evergreen plants, and couple of climbers too give it that little bit more shelter..

does anybody know if you can keep owl/ bicheno finch together, or any other finch species

thanks dan

hi dan mine is about 9x8 plus the night shelter it is'nt over crowded i have got honey suckle in mine as well

i used to have owl finches in with my canaries,silverbills ,parrot finches and bengies which was fine but zebs and owl finches are closely related accourding to one of my books so you could end up with hybids

i am in the middle of building another flight which will be filled with dence planting for my gouldians and star finches i think it is nice to get a surprise when a young bird appears from a nest that you did'nt know about

steve

TRUE mate, so would U not recomend putting owl finch with zebs In case they cross bread, and what sort off waxbills did you have I was looking at gouldians but there appernetly hard too bread and ibwas looking at cut throats but don't they need alot off live food for there young

Dan

no i would not put them together for that reason,i forgot i had a pair of st helena's as well i sold them all as i had to many different types of birds plus did not have heat in my aviary and i lost a couple of my birds through that reason i now have lights and heat in my new aviary hence why i have the gouldians plus i have always wanted some,i have only had my pair about a month and she is already nesting so fingers crossed i am no expert on these birds as i have been a budgie man for the last 40yrs which i gave to my dad and had just normal zebra finches so i am learning about these birds,i have a good book on birds which i got free when i subcribed to cage and aviary called the complete encyclopedia of cage and aviary birds

steve