Sign in to follow this  
norfolk flyer

Silver question

This weekend i was checking my aviary and this youngster was flying around completely looking after itself. The colour is a very very dilute grey. I think it's a silver, but can you get them really pale in colouring ? Being in a aviary i haven't a clue to the parents. I'll try for pic, if i'm successful it will come on a further post. Any info please, Thanks in advance, Trevor :)

Hi TrevIn the past i bred Silvers and they do come in a who range of colour depths ranging for very light with white cheeks to alot darker with more orangey cheek patches and pretty much everything in between.Paul.

Can i ask if you are breeding silvers should you cross silver-silver or to normal or any other colour?i should have asked this question before i did a pairing really but i didnt,i got one silver cock i think anyway?and paired to normal hen both decent sized,i have 2 chicks at 9 days old rung yesterday the few flights coming through appear silverish to me so im very much hoping that they will turn out silvers,but would appreciate any advice on silver breeding at all. Good luck with yours Trevor,look forward to seeing pics mate. Ty PS-Interested in acquiring silvers if anybody reading this has a surplus at any time,many thanks Ty.

Hi TyThe silvers i had were dominant silvers so i bred them silver x normal which produces a random number of silvers per nest if any and i always seemed to produce more cocks than hens,you do apparently also get recessive silvers but i dont know of anyone who has them,silvers are a really nice colour but make sure you keep a few of your best ones back because as with most dominate mutations you can quickly lose the mutation with the death of a few birds. Paul.

Thanks for that,ill bear all in mind,luckily i did the right thing it seems,god bless the normals for keeping the balance. Ty.

Hi Ty Happy to help i just wish i had kept a few more than i did and i would of still had mine,i had silver lightbacks and silvers beautiful colour was a real shame,unfortunately i have enough colours already and taking silver back on would be a mutation to far for me.Paul.

I understand entirely Paul,originally i was intent on normals,blcheek and lightbacks,ive now got cfw and fawns due mainly by acquiring some faboulous birds by offchance but been fancying silvers for some time and cant resist the temptation to try with them..how many colour muts you have if you dont mind me asking? Ty

Managed to get photo of the bird in question, as you can see it is very pale but it has a barred tail. The flash has possibly made it whiter than normal but only a shade lighter. Is it a pale silver ? :) While i was in the aviary this little chap came crashing about in the aviary. He's a Greycheek pied. I tried to cage breed this type last year but only had 3, so would you beleive it one of the males i bred last year is the dad of this little chap, i'm well chuffed ;) Trevor :huh:

Hi Trevor,Hard to tell from pic,but i don`t think it`s Silver.I think it looks to White in colour,i can see faint tail bars and also a hint of a Cheek Patch,but can`t see Tear Mark on photo.So not really sure what you have there :D:huh: Scott

Hi Trev I cant tell what you have there from the photo could do with a side shot it doesn't strike me as a silver but i cant be sure.Paul.

Hi Trev I am not clued up on silvers put looking at your pic looks like split CFW/cream going off tail bars, i know you prove me wrong better pic would help try without flash you might see better pigments in colour :D mark

Could anyone tell me if silver chicks darken at all after 1st moult,ive got 2 chicks out of nest today from silver cock normal hen both chicks are very light in colour 1 has darker cheeks than other but not sure if i would class as silver enough?i will post pics asap and hopefully somebody might assess for me. Ty.

Hi TY,To answer your question do Silvers Get Darker after they moult,in my experience i`d have to say NO.When your chicks fledge,whatever shade of Silver they are from Light to Dark,is what you`ll end up with :) :) Scott

Thanks Scott,wishfull thinking on my part really but appreciate the reply,is there a way to produce deeper silver with same bird or use a darker bird altogether in a different pairing?Is there a preference generally between light and dark with judges at all?sorry for all the questions but keen to learn. Ty.

Ty in regards to what judges are looking for in colour,it doesn`t really matter,so long as the pair your showing match for the same shade of Silver but on saying that they need to be able to distinguish them between Normals.There`s no sure fire way to be able to always breed light coloured Silvers,you can pair a Light Silver up and breed Dark Silvers and it can be the same if you pair up a Dark Silver,you could get Light Silvers :rolleyes:It really is that hit and miss with the Silver Mutation,but still think it`s my favourite mutation :) Scott

Hi TyWhen i use to breed Silver's out of one nest i remember i bred a beautiful light coloured silver cock with nice white cheeks and one of his nest mates was another Silver cock bird,who's body colour was much deeper with deep yellow cheeks a lovely coloured bird also,this just goes to show what can be produced in one nest of the same colour but be so different.Paul.

Thanks guys i really appreciate your replies and makes me realise theres a lot to learn and look forward too,am very quite enthusiastic at trying to produce something good in this mutation and appreciate it wont be an overnight job,thanks again Ty.

Hi all, On the 1st may i posted a pic of what i thought is a Silver youngster well here's an updated pic. I'm nearly sure it's a silver but he's the most diluted one i've had. You can now see barring on the tail + white spots on the flank and white cheek patch. The white markings against the body colour will now give you an idea of how dilute he is. Once again any comments would be good. Thanks in advance, Trevor :)

Hi Trev It does appear to be a dilute its very hard to tell colour from photos as i have noticed with my own birds,but it does look very light in colour what are the parents of this bird trev.When it comes to silvers and the amount of dilution there can be a big difference bird to bird even in siblings and as long as any pairs you show are matched for type and colour there should not be an issue.All the best Paul.

Hi Trev It does appear to be a dilute its very hard to tell colour from photos as i have noticed with my own birds,but it does look very light in colour what are the parents of this bird trev.When it comes to silvers and the amount of dilution there can be a big difference bird to bird even in siblings and as long as any pairs you show are matched for type and colour there should not be an issue.All the best Paul.
Paul, It's an aviary bird, so i can't really say his parents, this is the down fall of aviary breeding but on a plus you stand more chance of getting that something a little bit different. It's like that other pic i posted with that BF which had flank markings when it came out, it now looks as if it's getting quite a bit of orange on him, this to is another aviary bird. Trevor :)