finchdude

Lightback Eumo Hen

Mark,

I like this as well, something about eumos that I like, that's why I said i'd like to see them in the flesh.

You've done well, how many have you bred ?

Trevor :)

Hi Trevor I spent some time last year with 2 pairs of splits and she was ironically the most unlikely eumo that I could have bred (Lightback Eumo) I was expecting Greys. I have a few around me now Trevor, enough to pair up in the next few weeks and hopefully increase my numbers.

They are one of the best looking zebras ive ever owned!!

All I've heard about eumos is that they cannot fly properly, hard to breed, ect.

This seems to be an exception to the rule with your finches.

And must be excellent for you.

Keep up the good work!

Hi Clare, Yes the flying is an issue, however I have found this Lightback hen flys better than any of the other birds, I will always be looking to improve their quality and im not saying I will make them fly better but with careful pairing you never know, the charcoal zebra is identical in many respects but doesn't have trouble flying ! And as for Hard to breed I doubt that is the case, They are a challenge and a rewarding one if you ask me, Stunning birds could look at them all day!

By the sounds of things your'e doing a great job,

With your eumos, good luck with them for the future.

Just out of curiosity... What is the difference between a eumo and a charcoal? There is very limited info on the interenet about either of them.

Kerry

Hi Kerry, There is very little difference between the 2 birds, The Charcoal is only found in Australia where as the Eumo is the European version if you like.

But is there any difference to the genetic heritage to make them different mutations? Like the difference between the florida fancy and the isabel. One is dominant and the other is recessive so even though they look the same we know they are different mutations. Is it similar with the eumo and the charcoal?

Kerry

From my understanding (limited on the Charcoal) both of them are recessive mutations. I would love like many to get my hands on one but I don't think that will happen! Awesome mutations of the zebra finch!

You're Welcome ! I' ll post new pics soon.

Since last year I am looking for good gray to make split eumo. I hope many births in spring......