birdfan13

Normal Pair Have Baby With White Feathers?

Hi I am new to the forum and am a bit puzzled with my little baby zebra finch.

He or she is two wks old and is covered in white feathers with the head turning grey?

Cock and hen are normal greys , have had them for nearly a year now and they are lovely birds.

Will the baby be a normal grey? Or another colour? 

Hello

It sounds to me as if your normal cock bird is carrying Chestnut Flanked White, if this is the case the chick will be a hen.

Paul.

Welcome to the forum. I have CFW and they are lovely birds. Are you keeping the chick?

Emmy

Hi Emmy yes we are keeping the chick,has been called Fidget! As it is always wriggling ! :D 

it hatched a fortnight ago and is so cute!

Something like myself!! :D - In December 2011, like you, I only one pair of zebra finches. Then I found it was difficult to part with them so I bought more cages. Next I bought 3 quails and when they laid eggs and didnt sit on them I bought an incubator and used their eggs and hatched out another 8 quails- Now I have 11 Texan white quails. During this time my pair of zebra finches were such good parents that before I knew it I had quite a few finches but the offsprings  were either normal cocks or  CFW hens. So I bought a pair of pied zebra finches  and a pair of orange breasted zebra finches.

Now I have about 24 finches (and I have  2 canaries.)

Be interesting to find out how many you have at the end of the year :lol:

Emmy 

Hahaha it happens to most of us... You start with 2 and before you know it, your buying more cages or building aviaries! Congrats on your little white chick!

Kerry

:D they are adorable little birds

Fidget is so loud :D

The mum Jill, is a little madam, we let them out for a bit to fly around in the evenings and she attacks my rug on the floor!!

Jack the dad has sat on my shoulder a few times, we are going to get another cage and give Fidget a companion.

Emmy you sound like you have your hands full

I like quails too , they are lovely birds

welcome to the forum Birdfan13, as Paul has said your young chick sounds like it is a CFW, you can tell the females form the males at a very early age as the females have dark feather on their heads.

I hope you find the forum informative, please don't hesitate to ask any questions as the members are a great bunch and I'm sure they'll assist you where they can.

Good luck with the little one.

Gary.