Sign in to follow this  
Hendryclan

Evening All

I posted last November regarding my two Zebras who were only 7months old at the time and unfortunately were to young to look after chicks they had and they died.. I have left it until now to try and let them have another go at raising chicks. The one thing I worried about last time was the amount of nesting material to give them

No matter how much I put in the cage last time the male would put it all in the nesting basket. Also would I be best with a nesting basket or box? Do I need to get them extra vitamins before letting her lay eggs.? Also she is always laying eggs as I keep finding them broken on the bottom of the cage. Is this normal? There are so many things to worry about because of the chicks dying last time which I know now was due to them being to young and inexperienced. Any advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks guys

• Like 1

Hi I think what most peope say on the forum re the nesting material is when they start to lay the eggs dont give them anymore nesting material because they could cover the eggs that has been laid. 

Hen finches will lay eggs all the year round if the conditions are right and many will not be fertile (something like Hens LOL)the broken ones or in fact any egg found on the bottom of the cage should be removed straight away because the finches sometimes do eat the eggs and if they get into the habit of that then you will have a problem when it comes to breeding. They sometimes could eat their own eggs.

I think its up to yourself what you choose either a wicker basket or a box type, One pair of mine decided they just wanted to use their seed dish as a nest. :D

I'll let some of the others give you information about vitamens etc still learning about that myself.

Hope all goes well for you this time

Emmy

• Like 1

Hi,

Nesting material, they will use as much as you give them and if they start laying eggs all the rest off the material not used should be removed or they can build a new nest on top of the old one like a sandwich.

Nest box or basket, its upto you but if you are going too show your birds I would advise you too use a box as I made the mistake, of using a nest basket and can get my chicks out of the basket so I can not ting them so can't show that lot off chicks.

Vits and/ads, I use a pint off seed mixed with a teaspoon off cod liver oil, and I also put wheatgerm in with the cod liver oil and mix for 5 mins and leave for the dead too soak for 24 hrs before using others do Use differnt things.

hen birds will lay eggs reguarly and will contine todo so, so shouldn't need too worrie about that too much but they can become egg bound if calcium is lacking in there diet, a piece off cuttle fish should provide adiquite calcium for her tho hope this helps and more questions ask

Rgds Dan

• Like 1

Thanx Emmy

With regards to using the seed dish as a nest, the male seems to be the more broodier (is that a word??) of the two. He's forever sitting in the seed dish cheeping away while the hen just sits there looking at him as if he's gone daft! Lol. Your advice has given me more confidence to give them a try for chicks. Thanx again.

Hi Dan. I will try a box I think I see how they get on. Thanx also for the advice regarding the supplements etc. it really does help all your great advice. Thanx again :)

Hello Sue

It is the best practice to make the nest for the zebra finches before placing the nest box, then just give them a little extra when putting the nest box in to let them finish it to their liking.I would only advice giving more nest material once the eggs are laid if one of the pair starts to pluck feathers from the other to line the nest with, as this can sometime happen and if this does occure only give small amounts of nest material scattered around the cage.

Paul.