birdfan13

I Am Zebra Finch Mad!

Hi everyone, am going to the pet shop tomorrow to pick up my new male Fawn Zebra Finch.

Will put pics up soon.  :D

That means I will have four Zebra Finches and Rosie the Budgie, will be putting Jack and Jill in a cage together and hopefully they will breed again. 

Quite like the owl faced finches too. Do I need to build an aviary?  :lol:

hi you can keep owl finches in a cage,but a aviary with low heat would be good i enjoy watching my birds flying around,i had some in my aviary with no heat and lost 2,also they will hibernate with the zebs as they are closely related

steve

hi Steve, I think our house isn't that warm for owl finches unfortunately  :( 

Someone I know advised against buying them, however Jack, Jill and Fidget are looking really well.

My husband won't let me have an avairy yet  :D 

:D no space in my garden for one! not yet anyway!

Might have more zebra finches in the summer when hopefully Jack and Jill will breed again, he just said my frontroom is turning into an aviary!

:D no space in my garden for one! not yet anyway!

never mind perhaps one day you will,my garden is not very big but have managed to get 2 small aviaries in my garden i just got rid of my daughters swing and trampoline ;)

steve

You can always get an inside aviary :D

In 2011 after my 12year old zebra finch died I bought another pair.  Within weeks they had eggs in a nest and soon  the 2 became 6.

Wasnt content with that - got some different colours and also a pair of canaries. Talk about the saying 'breeding like rabbits!' I guess Zebra finches can beat the rabbits at that game. :lol:  Then I decided to use an incubator to hatch out some chinese painted quails eggs -  I intended  to put them in the bottom of my indoor avairy - they havent been in there yet they have their own living quarters.

Now as well as the inside aviary I've cages all over the place.

So if I was you I'd let  Jack,Jill and Fidget know just how lucky they are and to behave themselves. :D

Take it from me when those zebra finches go 'fishing' for a home they definately get you 'hooked'

Hope it all works out well for you

Emmy

ps Yesterday I've just put another 13 of my CPQ's eggs into the incubator. :lol: