Bicheno

Can You Help With Colour Id Please?

I'm pretty sure my male's a Florida Fancy (from the pictures I've compared him too anyway?) but I have no idea what my female is, can anyone help please?

both_zps51680bde.jpg

Im no expert at colours but at first I thought  they look liked Chestnut Flanked Whites  but  the cock bird doesnt have any breast marking so i could be wrong which I probably am :ph34r:

I'm sure someone else will help out here. :D

Emmy

Bicheno, where do you live? I am under the impression that you dont get Florida Fancies in Europe so that would mean that it is more than likely an Isabel. The hen looks like a very light Fawn colour to me.

They are both very nice looking birds!

KErry

Bicheno,

Kerry's spot on, the male is a Isabel, that's the european name, florida fancy is the u s name.

If you go to efinch website there's a section on Isabel/florida fancy telling the difference,

Hope this helps,

Trevor :)

Hi Bicheno

Birdfan (Marie) has  posted she thinks the female (the hen) could be  a lightback but she's not 100percent sure

( ;) the post just before  your last post. :D )

Emmy

Hi Bicheno,

Looks to be an Isabel cock & Fawn Hen.

I could be wrong but to be a lightback should have a white belly and black and white striped tail. :unsure:

And as I'm finding out the fun is in the breeding not knowing what you'll get :biggrin:

Clare

Hi All

Isabel and Florida fancy are two different mutations with Isabel the European mutation being a recessive mutation it can be carried hidden by both the cock and the hen largely unnoticed and requires both parents to either be visual or carrying the mutation to produce visual chicks of the same mutation, the effect of the Isabel mutation is to eumelanin (gray and black color in the Normal Zebra finch coloration.

The Florida Fancy is a US mutation and is Co dominant this means it has a single and a double factor, the effect of the mutation in its single factor is to reduce the eumelanin (gray and black color in the normal Zebra finch coloration)  in the birds and give them a diluted look, where as the effect of the Double factor is much more dramatic with the eumelanin (gray and black color in the normal Zebra finch coloration reduced to near white.

Paul.