Sign in to follow this  
mark1e

Darker Cream

i am thinking about getting darker creams because some of mine are light in colour and not getting breast bars,the birds are good size and are good shape dont realy know if the breast bars are important or not in creams as there are that many different shades colours,if i could try intermixing some darker colour into them what would your thoughts be this is to get some breast bars,if i try normal with cream i get silver plus splitsif i try lightback normal i get silver plus splitsif i try ?????? whats the out come <_<:):p whats best way to get good breast bars on creams i have been looking at allsorts of mutations but dont want to spoil things,mark

Hi Mark You need all the markings in your cocks and hens for showing.If you pair Cream cock x Normal hen25% Normal/Fawn Males25% Fawn Females25% Silver (SF) /Fawn Males25% Cream (SF) FemalesAnd the other wayNormal cock x Cream hen25% Cream (SF) Males25% Normal Females25% Silver (SF) Females25% Normal/Fawn MalesIf you throw lightback in there as well you would get cocks split lightback and lightback hens and you have crossing over being a possibility,so if im right possible cream lightback hens er may be silver lightback hens and fawn lightback hens, but for some of the above you may have more chance of being struck by lighting er twice than actually breeding any.Paul.

those mutations are right what your saying,the two pair fawns i am using with the creams are from right good stud from top breeders,i know birds cant through out good all the timei think i need couple more pair of dark fawns with good markings later in year,the fawn ones i have have got good markings but not quite getting what i need,each round from each pair are different colour in the young if you know what I'm saying,some have breast bars some don't but next time round it is vice versa

Dilutes are usually different shades just keep trying different pairing and give an nice colour normal a shot.Paul.

mark the markings on dilutes should be of a colour in keeping with the overall body colour of the birdso if you had a very light coloured cream you would want light coloured markings in keeping with the lightness of body colourif you had a dark cream you want a bird with darker markings...imo something between the two is ideal with even colour being the main thing to aim fordaveps if your looking to breed darker birds remember by breeding dilutes you are choosing to breed a bird with reduced colour. i would retain the darker creams you breed rather than go out looking for dark fawns remember the range of shades its vast in dilutes and to breed a pair that match perfectly is quite hard so i would be happy to breed a pair that match whatever shade

MarkDave is spot on with his reply. There is no "correct" version of a cream, in a lot of cases its down to personal choice. As Dave said they are dilutes so by their very nature should have some form of dilution, afterall a cream is the dilute version of a fawn.As for exhibiting creams you need to show well matched pairs for colour be it dark or light, and they need to be as even as possible, add to that - they also need to be the right shape and type. Sounds impossible !!, but a good pair of creams is a sight to behold, and well worth the reward if you persevere with them.CheersDave

Hi MarkIts sound like you have done well with the amount of creams you have bred and are well on your way to establishing your own stud of cream birds,so it would be a shame to complicate it to much by chasing to many variations of the dilutes before you are well established with the creams,having to many colours can make things a lot harder especially if you want to show your birds.Paul.

So what you are saying Dave H and Dave E is that creams are dilutes from fawns yes i understand this but to breed i have always but fawn with cream and vice versa,are you saying that they are already Dilutes and you Don't have to but them back to fawn to breed again,or are you saying that you can but Dilute to Dilute i.e cream to cream,mark

The best way to breed Dilutes is the dilute bird back to its base colour i.e Cream x Fawn or Silver x Normal,you Pair it back to is base colour because you want to breed more birds of that colour,by this i mean if you want to breed a fawn dilute (Cream)your best bet is to pair a cream which is just a dilute fawn to a fawn this way all the chicks will be fawn and hopefully you might get the dilute mutation which is present in one of the parents kicking in to produce Fawn dilutes (Creams) dont forget the dilute mutation is a dominate mutation so you have to have it visually displayed in one of the birds in your breeding pair.The only reason to pair out side your base colour is to produce dilutes of a different base colour i.e silver which can be done from cream to normal pairings if your very very lucky.Paul.

the way i read your first post mark was that you would like to breed some darker creams as you feel yours are a little lightcontinue to pair cream to fawn,no need to pair any other way as you already have quite a few creams to play withif your preferance is a darker bird use your darker creams to pair to fawns,however when breeding dilutes results can be quite random in regards to the colour of the offspringyou could pair a dark cream bird to a dark fawn and still breed a cream youngster very pale in colour and perhaps a very dark cream in the same nestits part of the challenge getting a well matched pair on the bench

thanks lads for the replys i will plod on and stick to what i am doing buy this time next year should have 70 to 80 creams thats a lot of mouths to feed thats not including rest the birds fawns and normals,mark

Hi Mark Its sound like you've done well this year with your birds,so full credit to you and i for one am looking forward to seeing your birds up on the show bench as it's always a pleasure to see dilutes.Paul.

Hi MarkIts great to hear that you have bred a large number of creams this year, not tp put a dampener on it, cos its great to see your enthusiasm, but dilutes can be very frustrating to breed, they always seem to have a habit of letting you down, just when you think youv'e cracked it. Many people have tried breeding dilutes, but few stick at it, so i hope you do.Just ask Scott Cunningham about the frustrations of dilutes and he will tell you its not all plain sailing, good luck all the same, and like Paul i to look forward to seeing some of your creams on the show bench this year.CheersDave

frustrating tell me about it hoping to get cream in the nest of young is frustrating one nest your get 4 out of 5 young, nest next your get 1 maybe 2 young, and sometimes your just get fawns :( and how is it that creams take that long to moult out or is it just me watching them all the time,another thing is that i keep getting hens, cock birds work out at 33% off,one other thing colour, shape, and size very annoying but i will stick with this mutation they want beat me :( mark

Hi MarkLook at it this way you will won't be short on Fawns to show,even if you couldn't bench many Creams you may well of bred a fair few Fawns.I had the same headaches with the Silvers,none in a nest,all cocks in another,some with dark cheeks some with white cheek,but what beautiful coloured birds they were well worth the effort.Paul.

your right there paul got quite few fawns here and got rid of some plus need some new blood in soon could do with some exchanges some time soon,mark