Marc

Hi Everyone

Hi,I'm from Rhyl, North Wales. Been keeping finches for almost a yr now. I really need some quick advice. I lost a female about 2 months ago - no idea the cause :( So we went out and bought a new female. Well about 2 weeks she starting laying 6 in total 2 days apart. The old female used to knock the eggs out straight away :( one of the eggs hatched yesterday. This morning I had a quick look to see the chick but it was dead - looks like they had been sitting on it just like what they've been doing Wight the eggs.Is it because she laid the eggs 2 days apart? Also this is the first time weve had the eggs full term and could do with some advice on what to feed the parents so they can look after the chicks better? Is there any house hold foods we can use?Sorry about all the questions in my 1st but I don't want anymore to die if I can help it - I know nature does take it's course most of the time and be cruel.Many thanks Marc and Jo

Firstly Marc & Jo welcome to the forum,on reading your post you say you went out and purchased another hen bird am i right in saying that it was from pet shop or similar place,did you ask about the birds age at all because really hen birds need to be 9 months plus before breeding with her really,saying she laid egg every other day is unusual other than every day this is why i asked how old she is she might just be young bird,but there again the cock bird you have must be older from what your saying, but if this is there first time around breeding this do,s happen usually second or some times third time it will produce and rear there young,as for feeding the birds whilst they have eggs or chicks i would let them have some rearing egg-food small amount twice a day plus put millet spay in cage as this is very small millet and good for rearing as well,you can purchase both of these from your local pet store and don't forget they need cuttle-bone and iodine blocks and oyster grit as well,don't let them have any of your house hold foods what you eat not good for them at this stage,mark

Hi Mark, thanks for the quick reply.Yes we purchased the hen from our local pet store, I did ask about her age and the owner said 8months but that was 2 months ago and she laid about 16 days ago.The cock bird is almost 2yrs old now. So im guessing practice will make perfect for then both - it's hard to witness them dying as we both love animals - I did mention to partner that it's probably a learning curve for them.I will go and buy the foods you mentioned.Thanks againMarc

Hi Marcyour very welcome if you need to know anything about your birds this is the forum for it hope you enjoy :( mark

Hi Marc And Jo Sometimes Zebra finches that have not reared chicks before dont seem to know what to do with them when they hatch,either that or the instinct to feed the chick has not yet kicked in,but 9 times out of 10 the Parents will start too feed you may lose a few chicks and it may be on their next round of chicks but usually they will come good,just make sure they have soft food availble to them prior to the chicks hatching.If you are unlucky and you do get a hen which will not feed after she has been given fair chance to i would either not breed her in the future or replace her for another hen who might breed better for you.Hope all comes goodPaul.

Hi Marc and Jo,Welcome to ZFFUK.If your birds are in breeding condition they will usually go down almost immediately after the chicks have been weaned or the chicks have died or the eggs have been removed.Just make sure you clean the nest of old material and give them some new. You should then see the cock bird start to build the nest for the hen. Once complete she will start to lay eggs a day apart.They should start to sit constantly after she has laid three to four eggs, then after 12 to 14 days you should see the first chick hatch dependent on conditions.The rest is as Mark and Paul have advised.Good luck and just ask if you need any help, I know how it feels to lose your first chick, we've all been there...Gary.

Hi Zebra Thank you for the information :)On a sad note the parents have suffocated 2 chics now. Its so sad to see, we know it's a learning curve for them but still...Jo

Hi Jo,It sounds like the parents are sitting to tight to me (pussing down to hard on the eggs/chicks), you could try to counter this by putting a false cannary egg under them, which may help in future.Gary.

Hi marcyou say suffocated maybe not may have just died not being fed,next time they go to breed and when hen is laying eggs again try putting a marble in with the eggs this can help stop suffocation the hen cant then squash the chicks with marble in nest,markP.S Gary you just beat me to it :(

Yes a lot of the time you find a squashed chick and think it has died as a result of being squashed,but it may well be,as i have found that the chick has not been fed by its parents and starved to death then been squashed after this.One thing i do if im unsure of a pair is check the nest afew times on the second day and sometime 3rd day to see if i can notice any food in the chicks crop "neck",in the first 24hrs the chick still feeds from its yolk sack and is fed beyond his time by its parents,so this is the time to check if you do check a couple of time through the second day and its crop is empty you may wish to consider moving the chick or hand feeding the chicks if your brave enough but be warned this is time consuming.Paul.