Sign in to follow this  
Dave.H

Confirmation Of Colour?

hi all, had previously posted this bird elsewhere when i purchased her shes a 2009 bird thought she was just a standard normal pied hen but moving her from a cage today had a closer look at her and i think she might be full Blackface too so if members in the know would have a good look and see what you think? main reason i noticed was her tear marks the white stripe is near missing both sides.Apologises for poor images - will take new ones if need be piedh1.jpgpiedh2.jpgThe first picture shows the tear mark well - the white pied mark comes upto her chin so 50/50 if she is blackface or a poorly marked normal pied - should she be a full blackface - my intention is to cross her to a standard coloured cock in the hope to produce blackfaces without the pied - i know theyd be split pied but hopefully wont be procreated anytime sooncheersDave

Hi Dave I can see what your saying in photo one but if i were you i would have a good look at her underside,if she is a Blackface she should be darker than a normal hen on her underside with barring on the uder side of the tale a bit like the bars on a cock birds chest,but this can all be of varying degrees but is usually there,im not sure how the pied mutation could affect this.Paul.

I think we might need another photo that cage bars running right in the wrong place,i see what your saying Mark the tear looks like it runs to the cheek like a split bc.Paul.

hi paul & mark, these are old pictures, so not ideal but what i have on the computer today as only noticed it earlier today so will get some better shots of her head, tail and underside for you all to view - to confirmalthough do see what you mean but dont full bcs or splits have full white tear stripesshes does have quite wide black tear marks too, i didnt think to ask what she was bred from as bought them as a pied pair but sadly dont have the cock anymore.thanks guys Dave

Dave heres a photo of a bf Hen its not a great photo but you can see the darker underside and barring near the tail of the bird.blackfacehen2011a-1-1.jpgPaul.

Hi Dave I Dont reckon she's a Blackface sorry mate but breeding her will tell for sure.All the best Paul.

You could put anthing you like to it dave depends what you think will give you best results,but bear in mind you will be combining two recessive mutations if you put it to a bb and pied may keep popping up where you dont want it if you dont control it,by this i mean down the line you may breed 2 nice bb's one a cock the other a hen out of 2 different pairings which would be nice to show,but one may be a pied bb and ruin your plans even a split pied can display the odd white feather.Paul.