Sign in to follow this  
zebba 'D'

Black Face

hi all, i have not long just got a massive pair of black face zebra, does anyone else breed this type of finch. The male is a normal black face and the female is a fawn black face. Chris

Hello Chris I keep this mutation im quite fond on them.Here a couple of photos of this years.bf2011cocka.jpg110301_165856.jpgPaul.

nice lookin birds mate, are they this years young. Will you have any for sale. The pair i have seem to be taller. Nice lookin pair will upload some pics soon. How many pairs of this type have yov got mate.Chris

Hi Chris I'm now down to just my breeding stock,i Have two cocks and two hens i dont breed them as pairs as this mutation is a dominant one so you only need one of the breeding pair to have the mutation to produce them and it cant be carried hidden.Paul.

hi paul,So you only need a male or female then to have the black face gene carried over. I only have the one pair but might see if i can get another. I dont no what it is about this type of finch but i love the marking on the bird.Chris

Hi Chris Yes they are a very pretty bird,you should be able if lucks on your side to breed quite a few Black faces from the 2 birds you have,so i would give them ago first as you may breed a high amount per nest,in some of my nests out of 5 chicks 4 were BF's and in other nests i bred none.Paul.

hi paul,Would you still pair the 2 together or split them mate, if split them what birds would you put to them or does it make any difference. The male i have is very large more taller than stocky. Female is a nice size.So what ever you put with them male or female you should get black face out the nest. If so let say i put the male with a white female will the young be carrying the gene. Or will they be split for black face. I am realy looking forward to working with this pair. Do you have any young for sale mate.Chris

Hi ChrisIf you put the cock say to a white the chicks even if Blackfaces will be all white as the white mutation removes black markings,uk Cfw dilutes the black markings so you would get a CFW with greyish markings of a Blackface if you paired it this way,the best combos of BF are with the likes of Black breast,orange Breast,Black cheek,silver and lightback for me.If you paired a BF to a normal hen say some of the chicks could be BF and some may be Just normals as with BF you can not produce split birds,and it is alway better to pair BF's to none BF birds for breeding,i Myself like Normal BF's.Paul.

hi paul, i understand it all better now mate cheers for that. Looking forward to breeding this type of breed. I have the black together at the mo nesting to. Ill see how they go. Thanks for the info mate.Chris

Apparently it is meant to be a bad idea to double up on BF,now i have never tried it myself as i was warned a few times not to the reason being that it can result in dead chicks and defects,i have know idea if this is true or if it was something that was a problem in the past with this mutation as i have avoided doing it.Paul.

Paul/Chris, I never put 2 dominants together of the same mutation ie BF x BF Greycheek x Greycheek etc.In the past when my young leave my shed i put them in the aviary, and in 2010 unbeknown to me 2 x greycheeks had 2 young and they were both blind this has happened to me twice so from experiance i would not do this.On the other side of the coin i have put Blackface to Fawncheek and Crested to 3 different dominant mutations and had no probs.Please bear in mind that this is of my findings and i don't want to sway you one way or another. What ever you do Chris all the best,Trevor :)

hi trevor/paul,I have a very stocky orange breast male that i may put to the female. What colour should i get out of the young. I also have a large black breast female zeb. But she is paired to a very nice lookin pied in the flight. Dont no what would be the best way around it. If i did pair the black face male with the black breast female, what will the off spring be.Are the dom colours in zebs always dark, eg bf, bb, bc. Or can you get dom colours in other types.Chris

Chris, Chestnut Flanked White, Fawns & Lightback = Sex Linked Black Cheek, Black Breasted,Isabel, Orange Breasted, Penguin, Pied, Recessive Silver, White & Yellow Beak = Recessive Black Face, Fawncheek,Greycheek,Dominant Silver & Crested = DominantBF male x BB hen = 50% Normal split Blackbreasted & 50% Blackface split Blackbreasted OB male x BF hen = 50% Normal split Orangebreasted & 50% Blackface split OrangebreastedJust to take it a step further, you really need 2 pairs of each set up then if you put:-BF/OB x Normal/OB = 25% Normal/Orange breasted 12.5% Orange breasted 12.5% Black face (SF) 25% Black face (SF) /Orange breasted 12.5% Normal 12.5% Black face (SF) Orange breasted BF/BB x Normal/BB = 25% Normal/Black breasted 12.5% Black breasted 12.5% Black face (SF) 25% Black face (SF) /Black breasted 12.5% Normal 12.5% Black face (SF) Black breasted (SF) = Single factor which means the dominant bird is basicly from one dominant parent, (DF) = Double factor bird from two dominant parents.I'm 90% sure on this but Paul will confirm when he see's this, hope this helps anymore questions no probs.Trevor :) Ps I always try to keep grey with grey types and fawn with fawn types

hi trevor,Thanks for the info mate will try and study it better. I am lookin forward to breeding this type of breed. Would be nice to get some nearly black zebs or orange. I also have the size on my side with the birds i have which is a bonus.I have been readin up on the other add about the black zebra. Would be so nice to own a few some day.Chris