Sign in to follow this  
Chrisd346

Black Breasted Cock-Totally Black Tail?

Does this sound right? I don't have any photo's at the minute but he has the complete black breast mark, no tear drop and a completely black tail, no white at all. He is one I bred myself and when i researched to see what mutation he was the description seemed to suggest the tail would still be black and white although patterned slightly different.

Has anyone else had this, is it normal enough?

Thanks alot in advance!

I didn't think of that. So they have black feathers and white feathers as opposed to black and white feathers? I haven't seen any evidence of feather plucking or any feathers lying in the cage. Seems quite strange that only the white ones be missing though. I will have to keep an eye on it to see if any potentially missing feathers grow back.

Thanks again, Chris

Hi Chris 

One explanation is as Kareem and Stephen have said missing feathers, the reason only the Black and white barred feathers could be missing is they are located on the top layer of the tail.

Another explanation is the bird could be over Melanistic.

Paul.

Thank you Paul,

I had actually thought that myself about the melanism but wasn't sure if it would be right. Will this have any adverse affect on the bird, breeding etc?

Thanks again!