Sign in to follow this  
Fluffydust

Hello - Funny Hand Reared Zebs

Evening all, I don't come online often so excuse me if it takes a while to respond to anything.

I bought my zebra finches, Bengalese finches and diamond doves last April and have had a wonderful time with them. When mama zeb kicked her babies out of the nest with a case of sour crop I successfully cured them and hand reared them, and now have a wonderful male and female hand reared pair that are quite frankly, bonkers.

Wingalings the male took a long time to get a red beak, it was orange for much longer than the male who was raised by his natural parents. Its red now but he has never learned to speak 'finch', whereas the 'normal' males Mr Zeb (his biological dad) and black mask (brother who was naturally reared) do the proper male song, Wingalings sounds more like a demented turkey, despite living with all the others since he started feeding himself, he doesn't even 'beep' normally, just does a high pitched squeal that makes him sound very dramatic..

'Baby' the female (so named as she still looks like one) is a lovely grey hen, but her beak and legs are pink, they've never turned red. She is otherwise extremely healthy, and unlike wingalings, does beep normally.

Im not concerned as they are healthy and very happy full of songs and get on very well with everyone else (apart from when they have a nest on the go, when they are more aggressive than any of the other birds, even attacking the doves, thankfully the doves don't give a monkeys and just get out the way such as is the wont of diamond doves it seems)

So, has anyone else had such peculiarities in their zebs, be they hand reared teeth cleaning, alpen pinchers or 'normal'?

Wingalings has also had the pleasure of being mentioned 3 times on radio 2 now lol! (partly due to his and his aviary mates love of big band music) which reminds me, clare teal is on in a minute.

TTFN

Alice

Congratulations on your first post. Very interesting.

I have hand reared finches too but the problem (wasn't really a big problem for me :D ) I had was that, one of them especially, 'Woopsie' became a proper little 'bossy boots.' and no matter which hen I paired him up with he soon let it know who was going to be boss! In the end he was 'confined to barracks' - in solitary confinement charged with domestic abuse :lol:

Others I have hand reared have mixed well with the other finches and they were ok but  I'm sure I've read that some finches that have been fostered with  e.g. Benagalese can mimic the song of that species. hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Emmy

Thanks, I would love to hear one mimicking Bengalese song! My Mr Ben sounds like an old computer downloading a file!

Yes Wingalings is a bossy bird but he doesn't bully his hen, they just gang up on everyone else when they have a nest on the go!

Hi Alice,

Welcome to the forum.

I have heard a Zeb mimic a bengy before, its sounds weird as its not quite the same.

Had a Zeb lay in a bengy nest and they reared there own chicks as well as the intruders lol :crazy:

Clare

Congratulations on your first post. Very interesting.

I have hand reared finches too but the problem (wasn't really a big problem for me :D ) I had was that, one of them especially, 'Woopsie' became a proper little 'bossy boots.' and no matter which hen I paired him up with he soon let it know who was going to be boss! In the end he was 'confined to barracks' - in solitary confinement charged with domestic abuse :lol:

Others I have hand reared have mixed well with the other finches and they were ok but  I'm sure I've read that some finches that have been fostered with  e.g. Benagalese can mimic the song of that species. hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Emmy

Zebras are unique because they actually learn the song they sing. There are genetic lines of songs that are passed down- this song that they lear at an early age helps prevent inbreeding in the wild. Zebras will choose the healthiest bird, with a unique song (unlike the song that they heard growing up).

People say it is difficult to breed hand fed Zebras- but that is a false statment. They just have to be taught 'how to be' a zebra (how to sing, how to behave, etc). If they are held with ther finches- it is not (usually) that they will mimic the other birds song, but rather they modify the 'normal' zeb song to something that will not be able to create a new song that is pleasant to the ears of other zebra finches that are accousomed to the note cycle of the zeb mating call.

The majority of my finches are hand fed (almost every single one that I adopt out) I believe it makes things easier (cleaning, medication) and in general when they are adopted out- becasue they are tame people treat them with more respect.

The majority of my finches are hand fed (almost every single one that I adopt out) I believe it makes things easier (cleaning, medication) and in general when they are adopted out- becasue they are tame people treat them with more respect

.Although I agree partly with what you say I don't agree that people (that means almost all people (especially the members on this forum)  who breed zebra finches , whether as pets or for showing - treat 'tame' zebras with more respect than the 'normal' (wild?)  ones  kept in cages and aviaries. 

Yes at times maybe one or two take an extra special place in your heart but the others that don't come onto your hand are treated with the same respect as the tame ones.

I think I can speak for most of the members here that every single finch (or any other type of bird) whether hand reared or  for a pet  or for exhibiting couldn't be cared for more and all are given the same care and attention.

I do agree to this, (but not in all cases), sometimes people want to have a 'tame' bird and are willing to pay well to buy one already hand reared and  tame. A vet once said to me If a person is willing to pay a decent amount of money for a bird then they would be more likely to take care of it.

I think after keeping birds for a while you get to 'read'  people, and recognise those who have a true love for birds  and I would willingly give them some of my birds to care for without any money exchanging hands.

Having had a lot of experience in hand rearing birds, (they have only been hand reared only because they had been neglected by their  parents and not for profit)

I know the time and care required to hand rear them and the heartbreak you feel when they don't survive -

Its good of you to give your time to taking care of the zebra finches they are lovely little birds.

Emmy

AH HA! you nailed it. However: The people on this forum are not the average finch owner.

Breeders for show: are not your average finch owner.

The fact is that the majority of zebra finch owners are: Family with two kids-and a dog, or a lonely individual.

They dont have an aviary- they have a small cage in the living room or bedroom. If you can make this little thing more interactive- people pay more attention to it. If you can them more sociable, then the pet stores have to take better care of it, and it makes the life of the bird more rewarding. You are less apt for 'forget' about something that likes attention.

(fyi- I dont sell my birds- I adopt them out. I do it for the love of the species. I have never had one not survive as I studied the species- and I have a method and process. Similar to the process of parrots)

:D

AH HA! you nailed it. However: The people on this forum are not the average finch owner.

Breeders for show: are not your average finch owner.

;) I'm not going to get into an argument with you about this or start world war three with other members answering your post  but you couldn't be more wrong with your statement (the above quote) I just would like to say the members on this forum -yes you are correct in saying they are not the  average finch owners  they are WELL ABOVE Average finch owners.

But we are all entitled to own opinions but its not fare to say because a person keeps finches for exhibiting that they care less for their birds. 

Most of them will probably spend more time sitting watching and 'talking' to their birds whether kept in breeding cages or in an aviary. (and probably like me they will have given them all individual names :lol: although some of  male members wont want to admit to that  ;) )

I am sincere in saying this I 'take my  hat off to you' never having lost a zebra finch when hand rearing it - a very difficult thing to do no matter what amount of studying you have done - it also takes lots of love and patience to achieve what you have done :good:  

(could I ask a favour here please - other members reading this post please don't reply in an aggressive manner we are all entitled to our own opinion and I think I have put our point across  because I KNOW the members here and Fetchingfinches

doesn't '  Thank You!) 

Emmy

But we are all entitled to own opinions but its not fare to say because a person keeps finches for exhibiting that they care less for their birds.

Emmy

Dont want to start a war either- I think there must have been a misunderstanding.

Read my post again-       Im saying they care MORE about their birds if they show them or are on this forum.

Show breeders and enthusiasts are the best thing to happen to finches.

But 73% of finches are sold at pet stores and become nothing more than a 'disposable pet'. Im looking to change that by elevating the species and making them more appreciated by the general public.

Dont want to start a war either- I think there must have been a misunderstanding.

Im saying they care MORE about their birds if they show them or are on this forum.

But 73% of finches are sold at pet stores and become nothing more than a 'disposable pet'. Im looking to change that by elevating the species and making them more appreciated by the general public.

Sorry I did misunderstand what you had been meaning  and I agree that some (though not all) pet stores should be avoided and if people want zebra finches they should go to either a breeder or to someone like yourself where they can be given advice how to care for them. 

I apologise about the misunderstanding :friends:  ( I'll put it down to the fact I'm very tired as I've been up all night taking care of my baby cockatiel who has had a very bad night :( )

Emmy

I figured, lol (I read your post and said ?!?!)

Im so sorry about your cockatiel, I might be able to help- feel free to contact me PM, or show me a thread in which you have questions.

I have a 'Blog' on this forum about his/her progress from the first day the egg was put into the incubator then the  next blog is a continuation to that  progress from day one of  hatching and everything was going fine until a few days ago.

Its a bit of a nightmare at the moment.

Thanks for offering to help

Emmy

Wont vanguard the 'hello thread'

(Im splicing cells right now... talk about tiring work) so I dont have time to 'search'. But I have hand raised more birds than I can count- and worked with troubleshooting nutrition and illness. PM me the link, and Ill see what I can advise :)

BTW! Welcome to the guy who is new! lol