Sign in to follow this  
Emmy

Diamond Dove

I had to remove the last of the three eggs the diamond dove had laid because the first two disappeared- exactly the same as last year. I'm almost 100% certain its the cockatiels who are raiding their nest - no trace of the diamond dove's eggs at all-not even the tiniest bit of a shell!  So I removed  their last  egg and put it into the incubator and it hatched out last night. 

The egg started pipping about 9am in the morning (yesterday, 4th February) and it hatched out at 6.05pm last night.

I left it in the incubator until 9a.m.this morning then transferred it to the other Brinsea incubator (using the 2nd incubator as a brooder  -can easily alter the temperature in the new one I have).

So far its doing OK getting fed every two  hours.

56b50b264d9bc_Thursday4thFebruary201610.   This is when the egg first started to 'pip' approx. 9am

56b51ede96d9b_Thursday4thFebruary201617.   Approx. 8 hours later (5pm)

56b51f638093e_Thursday4thFebruary201618.     Chick newly hatched 6pm.

Good on you Emmy. 'Only a mother could love it' they also look prehistoric I think.

My crop feeding rig is also out but the chicks go back in their own nests after feeding time. Parents started to feed and then stopped.

• Like 1