Sign in to follow this  
norfolk flyer

Bb Pied

All, Been over to my mates and he's been telling me that he's got an unusual pied, so finally i managed to get around to seeing him. He has shown me this pied and straight away i knew it was a BB grey pied it's in the moulting stage so it looks a bit scruffy 1st one i've ever seen.What we need to know is where has the BB come from, the parents are grey male x grey pied hen (both his birds). The other pied which came out of the nest is a grey pied hen, (is this split BB)?For him to produce a BB pied, they both have to be split BB yes? he dos'nt breed BB, so how long can the BB gene be passed on for?At some stage i will try a get a pic, but it won't be this side of xmas i wouldn't think.Trevor :)

Hi TrevorI am no expert but i would say the gene would be indefinite one will never know when BB will be in next brood, Someone might prove me wrong,mark

Hi Trev Marks right the BB gene can be hard or immpossible in some cases to even ID some birds do have signs of being split for BB like weak tear marks or hens with slight flank spots but even this is not always the case.If you had say a Normal/BB Cock x A Normal hen you would breed50% Normal 50% Normal/Black breasted And you may well be unable to ID which is which so this could go on and on in your stud and you wouldn't know until you paired two splits and produced a BB that it was there at all.Trev the cock would have to be a Normal/BB Pied and the hen Normal Pied/BB and this would give you 25% Pied /Black breasted 12.5% Pied 12.5% Black breasted /Pied 25% Normal/Black breasted Pied 12.5% Normal/Pied 12.5% Black breasted Pied the one your mate has produced Paul.

All, Been over to my mates and he's been telling me that he's got an unusual pied, so finally i managed to get around to seeing him. He has shown me this pied and straight away i knew it was a BB grey pied it's in the moulting stage so it looks a bit scruffy 1st one i've ever seen.What we need to know is where has the BB come from, the parents are grey male x grey pied hen (both his birds). The other pied which came out of the nest is a grey pied hen, (is this split BB)?For him to produce a BB pied, they both have to be split BB yes? he dos'nt breed BB, so how long can the BB gene be passed on for?At some stage i will try a get a pic, but it won't be this side of xmas i wouldn't think.Trevor :)
Hi there,a recessive gene,like BB,can be carried for many years.if a parent carries a recessive gene,50% of its offspring could inherit it even if the other parent doesn't.When I was breeding cats many years ago,I had a recessive gene crop up,from a nephew X aunt mating(the gene being lilac colour),and the nearest relative to these parents that could have passed it on,were over 14 generations back!So in theory,that BB gene could very well have been there a long time!Strangely enough,I've got a BC Pied hen,from Peter Cannan,and got her brother too(but no sign of him even being a carrier!),and I spoke to him about this.He checked back in is records,and they go back to 1983...and no BC!But she is definitely a Black-Cheek,and Peter said that he knew that Alan Dunsford(whose Pied line it was originally),HAD used Black-Cheeks in the Pied line in the beginning!So somewhere along the line,that has been passed on....but there's just as much chance that her brother doesn't carry it!Every generation,there's a 50% chance,that it will be passed on,but there's also a 50% chance,that it will be lost!It really is hit and miss,but it's possible.There are cases of mixed race twins being born in humans,where one twin is white,and the other is mixed race....and nobody knows how many generations ago,there was a black ancestor...there was actually a TV programme about it recently.I went to school with two Scottish kids,both from white Scottish families,with good Scottish names,and in both families,one of the children had afro hair!It turned out that the missing back ancestor in both cases went all the way back to the slave-trade in the West Indies,sometime in the 1700s!!!Genetics is absolutely fascinating!

Hi TrevVery continental in shape,im no expert on pieds but a bit heavy in the pied in the underside for sure and not displaying any flank markings,doesn't mean it wont throw well marked youngsters,could use a good pied hen to breed it too,like i said im no expert on pieds.I went to one of the shows this year cant remember if it was Carlisle or Gainsborough and someone had some Outstanding normal pieds in a carry box with some foreign and they were outstanding birds,so round and powerful and well marked just beautiful birds a real credit to the breeder.Paul.