dean

Penguins

hi all, i should be getting a pair of penguin finches very soon, im paying £20 for a pair, 2011 young, cant wait.

Hi Dean I would say that is good price as long as you are happy with what you get,Are they good shape & type size if so bargain,Have you read about pairing this birds up to other mutations for breeding!mark

hi, ive not seen them yet, but i went to get some normal sized zebs from derby for new blood for my aviary and noticed a pair of them in this persons aviary, fell in love with them and asked if he would sell them, he said nope, witch i under stand,He had only had them a few weeks and they are still young.well he rang me back the next day and said he has rang the person he got them from and he can do me a unrelated pair, both 2011 young.I said YES please, so i should be getting them today,Mark i havnt got a clue about what mutations to pair them with,they are unrelated so was just going to pair them up together, as far as i no they are just normal sized zebs, but im happy to pay £20 for them, looking forward to getting them, happy new year, dean

HI Dean,It does'nt matter what you pay for the bird as long as your happy. When you getting them and who you getting them off??ThanksJosh

Hi DeanPairing them up i would pair them to best pair of Normals you can get your hands on,mark

hello, ive got them, happy days :o , i would like to take a picture of them to put them on here so you could give me some advise about them,just to make sure they are 100% penguins, i will try and put pics tomorrow when they have setled down.As they are unrelated birds im going to let them breed and pair the young up with some big sized normals mark.hi josh, there from a bloke called pete from long eaton. happy new years guys.

• Like 1

Ok dean, just that i knew someone who has loads of penguins around birmingham area and he has had people coming round lately.He has quite a few mutations if any lives round there and wants some.ThanksJosh

thanks josh, im still looking for some exhibition normals & fawns if you know any one around my area, ive got some but still want more, thank you

I think there will be some at newark & Stafford show's in febauary and March. I should be going to them but dont know if i will have any spares.Josh

Dean, If they are Penguin, in my oppinion i would breed them to grey zeb's or if they are fawn penguins breed to fawn.If you split them up and pair to grey or fawn you will get 100% greys or fawns split for penguin. Then if you breed then young together from each nest this will then give you:-50% Normal/Penguin 25% Normal 25% Penguin This way it will enable you to build a penguin stud quicker than pairing the two penguins together. Also you would have to buy anymore birds everything will be your stock apart from the 2 penguins & the 2 grey or fawn you started with.Good luck with the penguins for 2012.Trevor :lol:

Hi, wow trevor thanks for that, they are grey penguins and i have a nice size hen and cock grey to pair them up with, i think thats what i will do, thank you dean :lol:

Hi DeanWise words from Trev as always,if you breed the 2 unrelate birds together you would end up with mum dad and offspring all related leaving you no choice but to either seek more penguins or breed them out for splits,you may as well do like Trev suggests and split them up to some either Normal or Fawn birds depending on what they are themselves then the following year you can pair the chicks from one pairing to the chicks and parent pengiun of the other pairing,you would get from a Pengiun x Normal pairing.100% Normal/Penguin the following year you can pair one of these split bird to the other orginal Pengiun to getSo a pairing of Normal/Pengiun x Pengiun=50% Normal/Penguin 50% Penguin Do this also with the other orginal bird and all being well you will have quite a few Pengiuns.I have heard that with Pengiuns like other recessive mutation birds the best way of breeding them is by using a split bird to a visual Pengiun,so you want some nice fawns or Normals to pair to these will hopefully give you the best chance of producing nice split birds.Hope this all make sensePaul.

Thanks guys, there all sorted now, the hen is with a good sized normal male and the cock is with a massive hen, they are all getting on well, so fingers crossed.Josh you said something about some one in birmingham that breeds them, im thinking about getting another pair, but fawns this time, is there any chance i could have a contact number for him, many thanks dean :lol:

Thanks guys, there all sorted now, the hen is with a good sized normal male and the cock is with a massive hen, they are all getting on well, so fingers crossed.Josh you said something about some one in birmingham that breeds them, im thinking about getting another pair, but fawns this time, is there any chance i could have a contact number for him, many thanks dean :lol:
Hi Dean,sorry to butt in,but you can get Fawn Penguins just as easily,by using a Fawn outcross...you may even get a Fawn hen that's split for Penguin,from the Penguin hen X Normal cock,as so many of the Normal cocks nowadays,are split for Fawn anyway.In fact,it's probably easier to get hold of quality Fawns than quality Normals,and certainly Normal Cocks split for Fawn.....I'm thinking of doing something similar this year,I'll let you know how it goes!Best Wishes,Peter.

Hi peter, that sounds good but i have a few breeding cages empty thats why i was thinking of some fawn penguins, looking forward to breeding season, when would be the best time to start putting nest boxes back in my aviary & breeding cages, as this is my 1st full breeding season. I have no heat in there so would have to be when it starts getting warmer, i was thinking 1st march. many thanks dean

Dean, It's really up to you and your birds if you notice they are coming into breeding condition let them breed. I've just paired mine up in my shed and i've no heat at all in there, this is what i've had for several years now and no problems (touchwood). I always leave nest boxes in the aviary it gives them some where to get into at nights, you can get 4+ in the boxes and they are really cozy.I believe Gary has got 10 young and Josh has young also so different peolpe have different ways and 99.99% work.All the best for your 1st season of breeding,Trevor :D

Hi dean,I've never had heat even with bichenos, stars and gouldians etc. and have been quite sucsesfull, As trevor said i already have 15 zebras& Bengalese in the box from 4 pairs and the weather keeps going from 12 degrees down to 2-3 degrees at night.Hope this helped.Josh

Ello all, sounds good to me, ive put nest boxes on some of the cages inside, but think ill leave the aviary nest boxes until feb time, as there is 18 breeding pairs in there & i cant be doing with chicks yet, because i dont get to go down to my shed/aviary in the week, as its dark before & after i get home from work, the wife has to feed them for me. dean

yes mate got it, thanks,

no look on breeding them, all the other birds in cages have had young just not the penguins,

i have took the male penguin away and put him with another hen, he is all over her and the penguin hen is sitting on two eggs so fingers crossed mate,

Going to start to take out the nest boxes out of my aviary soon, to give the zebs a rest, im selling half of my normals in the aviary & will be putting penguins & paired up cresteds in there,