Sign in to follow this  
Mégane

How to keep peace in an aviary ?

Hi,

I started with a couple of zebra finches almost one year ago.

Since then, they had in total 5 chicks. Today they live all together in a single aviary. (The 3 first offsprings are already matures and the two last are still chicks)

I observed a first "accident" two days ago : it seemed that one mature offspring male was attacking (almost to death) the father (I isolated the attacker in a little cage)

Since then, the atmosphere is very tense in the aviary, everybody is chasing everybody.

One big error I probably made is that I kept two nests in the aviary (one for the parents and one for the first clutch of 3 chicks) until yesterday (Yesterday I removed the two nest to remove the territoriality but it is probably too late)

> My question is: how can a bring back peace in the aviary ?

> Is it an utopia to keep a whole family in a single aviary without fighting ?

Thank you !

Mégane

Hi Megane,

Zebra Finches can be very territorial when it comes to breeding and if your aviary is small and the nest boxes are close together then this might add to the problem.

Breeding pairs should be kept separate as the birds will try to keep others away from their nest. Youngsters should also be removed from their parents, but this will again depend on the size of you aviary.

I have a 10ft flight with only a few nest boxes at each end so the birds can have their own space.

You could remove both nest boxes to see if this helps.

I hope this helps.

Thank you Garry !

My aviary is definitely smaller than yours !!

I was also wondering if it is possible to have in a same aviary several zebra finches (that don't know each other) ,with number of males different from number of females, as long as there is no nest (no breeding stimulation), =as opposed to what I did, where I added some nests from the beginning and I removed them lately

Thank you !

In my experience, zebra finches will live together well, but once you add any breeding possibilities this will start territorial arguments.

Think of it like an office at work, some people get on with others and some people don't, and there is always bickering between office members.

The smaller the numbers and the bigger the space the better the community.

I hope this helps.

Garry