Sign in to follow this  
Shelli

Is my finch sick or old?

Hi

5 years ago I had 4 finches. Sadly 18 months ago, one passed away, I’m not sure if it was old age or whether he was ill. I have 3 left but  about 10 weeks ago I noticed one of them had a droopy wing so I don’t know if he had been attacked by the other finch or whether he banged it when flying out of the cage or whether he is also old.  So I decided to quarantine him in a small cage in case he had been attacked. I did put the cage next to the other one so he can see his brothers and still interact with them.  His wing hIs still droopy so it looks like he’s not getting better. He has also changed colour like dark patches on his chest, does anyone know what that is?  He still tweets and seems happy and eating/drinking well. I don’t know if to reintegrate him back into his cage or whether the other finches wouldn’t allow it. I also don’t know if to let him out of his cage I’m scared he might injure himself. Am I doing the right thing keeping him in his own small cage and not letting him out or should I change something? I just feel sorry for him sat there watching his brothers, poor thing. Any advice would be appreciated 

Hi Shelli,

Welcome to the forum.

5yrs is a good age for a Zebra Finch, but I have had birds that have lived longer and some that have lived less.

I suspect that your bird have miscalculated one of it's flights when it has been flying free and has damaged it's wing.  I would keep it isolated from the others for now and don't let it fly free until it shows some signs of healing.  The process can take some time depending on the damage, but I have know birds to fully recover depending on the damage that has been caused.

The dark patches could mean that he is in molt, birds molt their plumage every so often and it tends to make then look a different clour until they have finished.

I hope you your bird gets better soon and if you need any more information, please do not hesitate to update this post.

Gary