paulm

Normals

Hi

Thanks Nick lucky enough i had just trimmed although its been a nerve racking day today so i've chewed a few.

Thanks Wayne i'm hoping at least ones a Normal hen theres still a cfw hen chick in the nest but knowing my lucky the cfw will be the only hen.

Paul.

Wonderfull looking chicks and the photos ain't bad either.

Keep em coming Paul i like looking at them.

Cheers Kim

Hi and thanks

Gary i think it must be the photo i don't remember it being quite so large i don't think my thumb is that big either ;)

Paul

Well done Paul mate as usual looking really good maybe more pic's when there feathered i hope,

mark

Hi Paul

Beautiful birds. The cock bird's eye on the 2nd photograph looks like he's letting everyone know he's the BOSS! :D

That video is just great, just wished there was a button on the computer that could change 'finch language' to English --they seemed to have a lot to say to each other :lol:

Emmy

Hi Emmy

Thanks for the comment they seems to hit it off well its just a shame their not the same colour as their a good match but you can't win them all.

paul.

Quality Birds there Paul mate & as Emmy says that eye is as clear as a bell great picture,

mark

• Like 1

Hi Adam

Thanks for the comment I guess i've had them around 11 years or so.

Hi Wayne

Thanks for the comment I've got a couple more Normals which i'm excited about of course there cocks as well which is my luck all over.

Paul.

i know what you mean paul

only bred 2 normal hens this year, sisters and the oldest is cock marked so youngest very good chance of being cock marked too :huh:

very good head and good size so will probably have to use them next year

bred a couple nice cocks though so fingers crossed my normals getting back up to speed

great pics mate nice too see quality normals (proper zebs lol) :)

Dave

Hi Dave

I don't Know what it is this year the birds have produced equal numbers of Cocks and hens in fawn and Lightback but in the Normals i've had nests of only cocks, Its very strange.

I agree a Nice Normal always catches the eye.

Paul.

the only thing Ive had equal this year is fawns,not complaining as usually have loads of hens

bred about 15 cfw hens only 4 cocks

bred 8 normal cocks only 2 hens

bred 5 nice cream hens no cocks

i shouldnt grumble didnt think i was going to breed any after the worst start to a year i can remember

Hi Dave

I haven't heard of that many people having a great year i know i've had to work for them this year and so have a few others by the sounds of it, my Dad said they same thing about his Canaries and he's been breeding them the same way for donkeys years. I'm a big believer in keeping it simple so i'm laying the blame on the weather.

Paul.

hi i don't know much about the exhibition type zebs but are they harder to breed than the pet type i am thinking later on down the line of getting some.

i have had my zebs a few months and i have had about 10 chicks from 2 pairs and have a equal amount of cocks and hens.

i agree with the post above from paul about the weather i bred about 20 odd canary chicks from 4 pairs in the 1st round and when the weather change i only had 5 chicks survive from the 2nd and 3rd rounds of about 25 chicks it seemed to me when the was thunder and lightning the hens sat to tight and squashed the chicks.

steve

Hi Steve

Exhibition Zebras i find can be more of a challenge to breed, but if you know how to breed birds in general and know the script then its just a matter of getting them fit and healthy and ready to perform.

Paul.

thanks paul i am know expert even though i lost all those chicks i was happy with my results of my first year of breeding canaries and pet type zebs never seem to let me down i have'nt lost a chick this year or even lay egg's and then build another nest on top like they did a couple of years ago,i fancy a challenge and i do like the exhibition type, i saw some for sale once and could not believe the difference in size to a pet zeb

steve

Hi Steve

Some good advice is watch the birds for condition and they will tell you when their ready to breed and not ready, you can help them along with longer hours of light and slowly increasing food sources but they will only perform when in condition and many a person has fell fowl of trying to breed them to fit their schedule.

The other thing is try to get the zebra finches down breeding all around the same time, well as many as possible and this way if any pairs don't perform such as not feeding their chicks, you will always have other pairs with chicks the same sort of age giving you more options.

Paul.

Hi All

I'm very pleased with this young Normal cock.

And wasn't the end of the video just like with us humans he dared argue with the female and lost :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul.