Keiron Kent

Youngster - 3 Weeks Old.!

Hi AllOut of a nest of 6, there's 3 cfw's, 2 fawns, 1 normal - parents are, cock normal split fawn x hen CFWwhat do you think guys?RegardsKeiron

post-273-027059800 1331636871_thumb.jpg

Also would suggest Cock is normal split fawn & cfw So cfw chicks can be both sexes, fawns will be hens Also chance of producing cfw fawn hens too. Dave

Hi KeironLooks a promissing bird i cant tell too well as when i click the photo it goes HUGE but from what i see nice bird.Paul.

Thats better,Nice bird well done and yep both the Fawns should be hens.Paul.

Great stuff.! The fawn hens are of simillar shape and size to the CFW in the picture. There's also another CFW identical to it as well. The other CFW appears longer than his siblings although its head is larger than than the others. I haven't had a good look at the Normal yet as it tends to stay in the nest box more than the others. Early days i know, but i might have something after all for the bench this year.!!I'm not sure if he comes on here but I'd just like to say a big thanks to Steve Cowling for the birds and sharing his knowledge with me.!I'll post some more pics when i get the chance.Keiron

Looks to be nice bird just shame the light of the picture not the best, try taking another picture in different light,mark

It looks to me to be a cracking bird well done,if you dont want it you know where to send it :rolleyes: Paul.

This is the sister to the other fawn pic.As for them sitting on your hands/fingers, well i guess whilst their still young, say up to 4/5 weeks they'll happily do that. After that time, well, good luck.!!lolHad another nest of 4 CFW's hatch out over the weekend. I have another 2 pairs of CFW's, one with 6 eggs, another with 5 eggs due to hatch by the weekend.!paulm - think i'll be keeping that one :) Keiron

post-273-071557100 1332150310_thumb.jpg

post-273-015831900 1332150325_thumb.jpg

This is the sibling I mentioned been longer and its head been a lot bigger than the restI think the best of the nest.!With it been that large for its age I think its a cock bird.?(ps. I must try taking pictures with the flash off)Keiron

This is a Hen.!!

post-273-086115500 1332235090_thumb.jpg

post-273-085145700 1332235109_thumb.jpg

post-273-078762600 1332235139_thumb.jpg

post-273-016200900 1332235208_thumb.jpg

Update - Rung another 13 chicks yesterday from 2 pairs of CFW's and a pair of normals. Nests of 4, 4 and 5. My breeding programme has really hit high gear and things seem a little to easy at the minute lol. I guess it must be this nice weather we've been having just lately.! Has anyone else seen improvements over the last few weeks?

Hi AllThink I spoke to soon. When I fed them this morning I found one of my adult CFW hens dead on the cage floor. All I can say is I’m gutted; she was a lovely bird and was one of the best hens I had. I think there’s a possibility that she may have been egg bound, not 100% on that though. On a brighter note she has left me with, and that I know of 3 fertile eggs. I checked her nest of 4 eggs on Tuesday and 3 we’re showing signs of fertility. There could be more eggs but I never checked this morning as the Normal cock I’d paired her with was sitting the nest.So what’s best to do next? Leave the cock to sit and hopefully raise the chicks on his own? Put a spare adult hen with the cock? Move the eggs to other pairs already sitting?Any advice given would be greatly appreciated RegardsKeiron

Hi Keiron,I would try foster them, they may have chilled in the night and the cock may have started sitting as it got light in the morning. He may continue to sit but it is not guaranteed. I would not place another hen in the cage as they will abandon the eggs completely.Nick

Hi NickThanks for the advice. I'll foster the eggs to a few pairs of Fawns that are sitting and hopefully the eggs will still be ok.Keiron