Sign in to follow this  
Clare L

Strange Colours Update

All chicks are now in full adult coulor thought I would update as one is still confusing me :blink:

They have all turned out to be hens.

See Pics attached.

CameraNew29082012010.jpg

CameraNew29082012039.jpg

CameraNew29082012033.jpg

CameraNew29082012012.jpg

The colour that still confuses me is The second photo, any more help on this would be great now in adult colour, as have never had this before :blink:

Hi Clare

Do you have Silver or Cream in your Aviary the first one looks like a silver hen to me and the second a Black cheek silver hen the other below them look to be Lightbacks.

Paul.

Claire,

Pic 1, Nearest camera i would say Cream, behind Blackcheek normal lightback.

Pic 2, Blackcheek grey Isabel. (what's the tail pattern like ? how many colours in the tail ?) or could be Blackcheek Silver (as Paul said)

Pic 3, Fawn or Normal lightback (got a bit of flashback there not 100% on that)

Pic 4, Normal Lightback

Hope this helps you,

Trevor :)

Hi Clare

In the the first photo i would say Cream Lightback hen & the last photo i would say Fawn Lightback hen,

mark

Hi Paul / Trevor,

Thanks for the replies

There is silver in this line the grandad is fawn dominant silver/ isabel.

Have added a couple of extra photo's of the hen in Pic 2, showing the tail feathers.

cameranew30082012010.jpg

cameranew30082012002.jpg

Hi

I don't think the last hen in the first lot of photo's is a fawn lightback the marking and tail colouring is jet black this would indicate a normal lightback.

If there is Isabel in the family line some of them could be Silvers and also split Isabel.

Paul.

Hi Trevor / Paul

Thanks for your help with this.

These are the first I have bred of this colour and have been quite a surprise.

The photo's don't really do them justice as all 5 are good looking finches, the best I have had apart from the BC Male that appeared.

One last question what do I pair the Silver BC if indeed she is with? All the hens are unrelated to any of my other finches so can have the pick of any they like.

But would like to get this right from the start rather than losing this colour by mating with the wrong colours.

The one thing I don't have to pair with are any Cream or Silver carrying Males as this is a totally new line this year.

I do have a Lightback Male, unrelated would this work?

Hi Clare

If you want to continue the Silver black cheek line i would pair your hen to a visual Black cheek, Normal cock, you could even use a lightback cock who is visual Black Cheek adding lightback to the mix to produce a deeper cheek colour and markings.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the advise.

Will have to pair with a BC Normal cock, as no BC lightback cocks at present only normal lightback.

Cann't wait for next year to see the results ( I'll probably be even more confused :lol: )

Clare