casamber

Hello From Essex!

Hi my name is Kerry. I have been keeping zebras for a few years now and have absolutely no friends or family that are the slightest bit interested in them! Its very frustrating when i want to share my latest pictures or bird news on facebook and no one will talk to me about them haha.

I have 20 Zebras kept in breeding cages at the moment until the aviary is built, (hopefully before next spring), and my ultimate goal is to produce a completely orange bird!

I know a fair bit about genetics, but i do need help sometimes.

Thanks for reading! :)

Hi Kerry Welcome to the forum. One thing for certain you will find lots of people here to share your interest and we all love to see photographs of other forum member's Zebra Finches. Good that you know a good bit about genetics guess you will be able to help Paul answer all our questions in that 'field' Would be great to hear more about what you are aiming to achieve- a completely orange bird.

Look forward to reading your posts

Emmy

Hi and thanks for the welcome :)

Emmy, I am working on combining an orange breast, black breast, black face fawn combination, then once i have acclomplished that i will select the birds with the most orange colouration and pair them up to hopefully achieve a completely orange bird! Im not entirely sure that its possible and if it is, i figure it will probably take me around 20 years to achieve haha. But It's worth trying just for the satisfication i get from it. :)

Kerry

Hello Kerry And Welcome to the forum, I have a few OBBB myself in both fawn and Normal they are beautiful birds i think with all the orange and white.

Paul.

Kerry,

Welcome to the ZFF, good to see you've set yourself a target.

All be it a hard one, any questions you need to know don't hesitate to ask someone will always help.

If i remember rightly i think they are very high odds, hope you acheive your goal.

Trevor :)

Thanks everyone!

Its great to meet people with the same interest in zebras at last.

I think i read somewhere that the odds of producing an all orange zeb are 1 in 63? I cant really remeber now. The hardest part for me was always going to finding the colours that i need. It's taken me a long time to find an OB, but surprisingly found one in a pet shop 4 weeks ago.

Kerry

Hi Kerry I was given a pair of orange breasted Finches just a few weeks ago and they are just lovely.

Emmy

Hi Emmy.

Do you have any pictures of your OB? Im not 100% sure if mine is a poorly marked full OB or just a split. He still has lots of black in the breast bar. This is the first OB i have ever owned so its not one of my stronger points.

Kerry

Hi kerry

Your bird does appear to be a Normal OB Cock rather than a split you do get black Feathering in the chest its a colour fault in show birds and is worse in the Normal base colour than Fawn as it a lot more noticeable.

Paul.

Kerry I've still not managed to get a photograph of the OB hen this is the OB cock bird

orange_breasted_cock_bird_October_2012.jpg

Emmy

Hi Emmy

Nice bird i like it you dont see OB's that often as most of them have BB put in with it.

Paul.

Thanks Paul The OB hen is lovely too I hadnt seen an OB hen before until I had that lovely surprise when I was kindly given that pair from Colin Clark. I really like them but I havent moved them into the avairy yet I'm hoping they will pair up so when I do eventually put them into the avairy they will stay paired up together. Doing the same with the pair of pieds I have as well. Not sure if that will happen though.

Emmy

Im so glad he is a full OB. I paired him with a grey hen and they have 3 chicks in the nest already!

Emmy, thats a lovely looking bird you have there and how nice that someone surprised you with them!

Paul, thanks for the info. I think my guy may have BB in him as he has a few small signs of it, but im hoping he doesn't. He is definately split to pied as he has a few white flight feathers on one side. Im not keen on the pied mutation mixed with OB so i will have to be very careful who i pair him with.

Hi Casamber

You should be able to limit the Pied and if lucky it shouldn't raise it head very often but its very hard to get rid of.

paul.

ive been very careful to avoid any birds that have the slightest hint of pied but this is the first orange breast i have ever seen so i would have bought him regardless. Hopefully i can keep the pied out of his young but without knowing a lot of my birds background its bound to crop up at some point.

Kerry

Managed to get some photographs of the OB Finches this morning. Here they are:

Oranage_breasted_October_21st_2012.jpg

Orange_Br_October_21_2012.jpg

Orange_B_October_21st_2012.jpg

Orange_breasted_October_21_2012.jpg

Emmy

Really? The hens tail looks BB and the cock has orange on his head which is what made me think that.

I think i need to brush up on my knowledge, i seem to be getting rusty haha!

Emmy/Kerry,

I reckon the male is BBOB due to extended orange on the head (what kerry said) and the hen is a BB/OB (not 100% on this though).

Emmy has the hen got ghost flank markings (pale spots on the flanks) this is a tell tale sign of OB.

Trevor :)

Hi Trevor I have had a look at the hen and so far I cant see any 'pale spots on the flanks'. only thing I can see is that the feathers are a shade lighter than the feathers on her back - very pale shades of tan/orange -- but even if they arent 100 percent OB I'm still over the moon with them.

If they are split of BB/OB what colours can I expect to get from pairing them?

(I seem to have a post missing :wacko: I answered Kerry's post saying that I couldnt be 100 percent sure and I would ask Colin if he's at the bird sale next Sunday- but it would be just like me to write it then forget to press the 'post' button :lol: `)

Kerry and Trevor Thanks for the information

Emmy

Hi Emmy

I would say an OB/BB Normal cock he is full OB you can see this in the lack of much black in the breast bars and has some cheek extension but does not have the correct tail bars for a full BB cock, also he has elongated flank spots which can still be found in BB birds even if they are not full BB.

The hen is a full BB normal hen but i cant see any signs of OB in her she should have reduced black around the beak and it should also show in tail.

Paul.