Sign in to follow this  
Emmy

Cfw Male/female?

Young_CFW_1.jpg

Young_CFW_cropped.jpg

:help: These are 2 photos of the same bird the 2nd one I have cropped and darkened it a little. This is the 'hen'  CFW I was going to pair with Woopsie but having a close look at it tonight I noticed some speckled feathers just below the wings. but as far as I can see no orange cheek patches. The 2 normal males  (siblings) have had their orange cheek patches for a while now. Have I made another mistake and is this a he and not a she.

Be grateful for any ideas I've looked at the photos for so long my eyes are beginning to play tricks on me. :crazy:

ps I like the new emicons :wink:

Emmy

Emmy,

I'm going for a male, only reason apart from flank markings, if you look closely to it's head you can see orange bleeding through on the cheeks.

Can't understand anyone pairing two birds of the same, male x male or female x female :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  (can't think of anyone else who's done this can you Emmy)

Hope this helps,

Trevor :)

Ps being serious for a mo, if you put it in a cage then intrduce a hen it should start calling straight away if it's a male, just a thought.

Hi Emmy,

Probably a cocky Trevor is right you can see the cheeks comming

through.

I had a silver cock that had faint flank markings, but the cheek patches to ages to come through.

Clare

Many thanks everyone, guess its going to be another waiting game. If I can catch a female from the aviary I'll see if that works.

Can't understand anyone pairing two birds of the same, male x male or female x female :lol: :lol: :lol: (can't think of anyone else who's done this can you Emmy)

Odd you should say that Trevor :rofl:  the first thing that came to my mind was--'I should send a pm to Trevor he would NEVER make a mistake about pairing up birds (lol)   

I'm not going to remind the others what happened I'll leave that up to you ;)  (lol)

(ps Maybe you should remind the others who are reading this post just what you actually did (lol  lol  lol))

Emmy

Thanks M/F

It still doesnt have any more colouring on its cheeks or on the flanks

Emmy

Looks like a washed out cfw cock

I agree it looks like  that!  I've thought to myself it looked as though I had put some detergent and domestos in its bath water (lol)

Dave Its mum was a CFW/fawn and is dad was Normal not sure if dad was split for another colour though.

Is it possible it could still colour up after all this time or will that be it for good? 

It's  other two siblings, both cocks, have really good colours (normals)

Emmy

Hi Emmy

You do get hens with flank markings but they are usually white surrounded by the birds own body colour never seen a hen with orange flanks so my money is on a cock bird.

Paul.

Hi Emmy,

Is there a chance it could be pied?

It Would explain the lack of markings :unsure:

Thanks Paul and Clare

Dont think it could be pied definately has all the signs for CFW

guess I'll just have to have a bit more patience  and wait - then if an egg appears then 'he' will be a 'she' ------------and if no egg appears after 2/3 months then the 'she' will be a 'he' :lol:  :lol:

Emmy

Hi Emmy,

If it is CWF Pied it is definetly a cock, especially after this length of time :crazy:

YOur pic does show a slight cheek patch, and broken flank markings, which lead to my pied conclusion~? ;)

Thanks Clare

Shame he/previous she was marked down to be a mate for Woopsie. Guess Woopsie will just  have to wait a bit longer until those new chicks decide if they are males/females.

Emmy